General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Air Supply and TB Flap on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Air Supply and TB Flap on Startup

During cold starts or any other start what is the TB's flap doing on an EFI engine? Is there another source of air control (ex: IAVC) that supplies air at startup?
I know when cylinders are flooded with fuel that holding the fuel pedal down all the way opens the TB flap wide open. Is the flap closed during startup?

I should know this but, I don't.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-25-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Supply and TB Flap on Startup

Pick a car to discuss.

Your 1997, the throttle valve is connected directly to your foot. If you move your gas pedal with your right foot, you should be able to guess exactly what the throttle blade is doing....
The rest is controlled through the IAC/FICV.

A current Honda fly-by-wire system has no IAC, all engine speeds are obtained by controlling/manipulating throttle blade position by the PCM and/or TACmodule.

(HOWEVER in the event of one particular electric throttle failure I remember: The throttle blade is spring loaded to roughly 15-20%(?) opening as a fail safe position, but when you press the gas pedal the car still could accelerate, albeit quite slowly. In the datastream I saw the PCM manipulate ignition timing to obtain an RPM increase so the car could limp along at a reduced speed... )
Old 10-25-2016

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Thanks Ezone.
I wasn't thinking of a particular make, model or year however, I also wasn't considering the different types of systems that have been employed, such as the ones you mentioned. What I'd like to know is what controls the air portion of spark + fuel+ air during startup?

My friend with the Passat feels that his engine may not be firing due to lack of air due to a possible issue of the TB flap not opening during cranking. I told him I'm not sure what the flap does at startup on his car (and mine) and if the flap is soley responsible for the amount of air needed on startups.

Concerning my '97 I don't press the pedal at all when cranking but, does that equal to the flap being closed based on your statement: "Your 1997, the throttle valve is connected directly to your foot. If you move your gas pedal with your right foot, you should be able to guess exactly what the throttle blade is doing."
Old 10-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What I'd like to know is what controls the air portion of spark + fuel+ air during startup?
On your car the IAC/FITV (or whatever it has) handles airflow duties while the throttle blade is closed.

My friend with the Passat feels that his engine may not be firing due to lack of air due to a possible issue of the TB flap not opening during cranking. I told him I'm not sure what the flap does at startup on his car (and mine) and if the flap is soley responsible for the amount of air needed on startups.
SOMEthing has to let air in. If electric I assume the throttle blade has to be opened as I would not expect an IAC of any type to be installed.

my '97 I don't press the pedal at all when cranking but, does that equal to the flap being closed
Correct. Pull your breather off and check out your throttle if you want to see it.
Old 10-26-2016

Thanks again Ezone. That helps clarify it for me.