General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

1990 Ford F150 - thoughts and advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1990 Ford F150 - thoughs and advice?

Good news, I finally realized my 4speed manual is actually a 5speed manual!

God, I'm dumb sometimes....

So took pics of the fuel lines just for giggles.

I got the Ebrake cable and a tach and time to install (and nice weather ) tomorrow. My Civic is getting jealous... it's starting to make some squeaking noise on the drivers front somewhere, lol.

add that to my 'to do' list tomorrow, I guess.

oh yeah, 3 lines out of the tank. 2 follow from the fuel filter to the engine and then fuel rail(?) I think. The 3rd line splits off at the fuel filter and goes into the canister (?) I think then up to the throttle body.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from filter - engine - 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	85859   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from filter - engine - 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	85860   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from filter - engine - 3 - 3rd line.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	85861   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from filter - engine - 4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	85862   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from filter - engine - 5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	85863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from canister - 1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	85864   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from canister - 2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	85865   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from canister - 3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	85866   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line - from canister - 4.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	85867  
Old 10-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1990 Ford F150 - thoughts and advice?

Quit gettin the munchies, man.

I bet that's a Mazda type trans.

Ok during my brief lunch I did not find a diagram that sufficiently shows all of the basic line layouts so I'm gonna make a few guesses here.....

I'd expect one of these to lead back to the top of the gas tank. (But I really don't know for certain.)
See if this guess is true and make sure the line is clear.

The other line probably goes to the purge solenoid stuck in between manifold runners here?

And did you take the vent caps off here?

The rest of the pics just show the pressure and return lines, as far as I can tell..
Old 10-15-2013

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

This is the first break in the vent line around the 1/2 way point of the truck. I was going to try and work the vacuum pump there and see what happens.

If that's OK then from the canister next I guess. The lower line into the canister is the continuation from this mid point

Yeah, I took the caps off the canister. How do you know when to replace?

Hmmm,

Old 10-15-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to try and work the vacuum pump there and see what happens.
I'd be far more interested in the volume of air it can flow. Think of just how rapidly the gas tank gets filled by a pump. It's gotta flow about (guess) 2-4 gallons per minute with little or no resistance. (Convert that to liters or Imperial gallons if you want.)
A hand vacuum pump is of no value here unless it's to prove the line is totally blocked.
Um.....Use your lungs and blow through it?
How do you know when to replace?
Most of them never get replaced unless they cause a problem, or they just get disconnected. Nobody knows what they are for.
UNLESS you are in an area that wants them in place for emissions testing..

You might pop the hose off the canister and see if that lets you fill the tank easier...
Old 10-15-2013

How much gas can you get to go in at full pace before it backs up and shuts the pump off?

Use that to figure if the neck has the blockage or if tank venting is the problem.
Old 10-16-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
A hand vacuum pump is of no value here unless it's to prove the line is totally blocked.
Um.....Use your lungs and blow through it?

You might pop the hose off the canister and see if that lets you fill the tank easier...
Thank you!

lol, I guess I was operating under the assumption that it was blocked.

No Etesting where I live yet...good thing because somebody forgot to include the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. I could get busted for that in an inspection but I drove my Toy like that here for 10 years and it never came up. lol

I remember when I put gas in the other day that it started normal for maybe 10 - 15 seconds before it came right out of the tank at me. Even after pausing for a few seconds it still would overflow right away....so I had to go pretty much as slow as the pump would allow to continuously flow gas in.

Guess I'll get a jerry can of gas to test with.
Old 10-16-2013

started normal for maybe 10 - 15 seconds before it came right out of the tank at me.
That's probably a blocked vent then. If it were restricted in the fill neck it would spit back in 3 seconds or so. (In my mind)

I still really don't know if there would be a valve of some sort in the top of the gas tank or if it would be an open port.
Old 10-16-2013

I tried to take a pic of the top of the tank but it's tight up against the bed. I'd have to drop the tank to check the fuel pump bracket.

I'm not even sure what tank it might be. The bed has dual fill ports but it's really only single fill port tank. Who knows where it came from.

Name:	IMG_6214.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	85868  
Old 10-16-2013

And I've noticed a whole lot of non-factory clamps on many of those lines. Hard telling what it might have originally been equipped with.

SO is this tank behind the rear axle or ahead of it?
Old 10-16-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
And I've noticed a whole lot of non-factory clamps on many of those lines.
Are you saying someone has been tampering with my truck??!!?

The gas tank is behind the rear axle ...and your going to love the first pic of my 'non standard' filler neck.

I was at NAPA today buying the Ebrake cable and the dude I was dealing with happened to own a 1990 Ford F150 and insisted that the VSS was next to the speedo cable. So I Used my eidetic memory to reference the back of the Tcase. and I did in fact remember an unplugged wire. I plugged it back in but still no speedo yet. I guess the next step will be trying to test that. I did notice when I plugged it back in the speedo didn't jump around anymore though.

Yes ladies and gentlemen for 1 hour of your time and $32 you too can have a working Ebrake in a 1990 ford F150.....

Name:	Oct16-2013-1-gas tank filler neck.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	85869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct16-2013-2 -new Ebake cable.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	85870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct16-2013-3 -new Ebake cable.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	85871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct16-2013-4 -new Ebake cable.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	85872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct16-2013-5 -new Ebake cable.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	85873  

Name:	Oct16-2013-6 -VSS - plug.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	85874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct16-2013-7 -VSS - plug.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	85875  
Old 10-16-2013

So tested VSS with a DMM and OMG it's AOK! LOL

Pulled the drive shaft but unfortunately I don't have a 1 3/8" (?) to pull the yoke nut. I did manage to get the camera in to verify it is the Tcase gear that's worn out though.

Name:	IMG_6263.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	85876  
Old 10-16-2013

Pic #1, that rubber fill tube needs straightened out.
Old 10-16-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

A whole lotta orange going on there... How long do you plan on keeping this?
Old 10-16-2013

Originally Posted by Stock 99
lol, this is my winter/ski hill beater until it dies or I crash it.
This is meant to be a ski hill/winter beater for me to save my beloved 99 Civic from the hardest days of Canadian winter and ski hill access roads. So I didn't really pay much for this truck and the tires are brand new...
It's rusting from the inside out so that's fine. As long as it looks good to cops/dot guys then cool. lol ...and besides it's camo so they won't even see me.
It has new tires on it so I guess I'll do a rotation right away. I was looking at mountain bike that cost more than this truck last spring so I don't really want to dump a tonne of cash into it. I just want to be safe on the highway.

thanks for the advice ezone
It'll probably be lucky to see 5000km in a year. Maybe 150kms a week in the winter and a couple dump/reno runs in the spring/fall. If I like it some choice fishing in the summer months...maybe. lol
I actually drove the truck quite a bit today. What an effing pig...

I hope this doesn't count as talking to myself.

Besides by the end of tomorrow it's going to look factory fresh underneath...

Name:	ticket to ride.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	85877  
Old 10-16-2013

Stupid question: Have you checked the 4WD yet? You know, before you NEED it to work?

Whats the snowboard for, spreading the undercoat around?
Old 10-16-2013

Pretty much the first and only thing I checked and was critical of was 4WD. Manual locking hubs, H2,H4, L4

The snowboard is just a reminder of the purpose of this vehicle.

I actually went out today in my 2 seater( well, 1 seater really) RWD American muscle and lite them up....Hmmm RWD

Old 10-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm sealing in wetness haha The body looks to be in great shape though.
Old 10-17-2013

it's not
Old 10-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Haha is that an "At home" paint job?
Old 10-17-2013

^^^DAFUQ is that, SPAM?
Old 10-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

ezone you didn't even give me like 2 minutes to get rid of it before you reported LOL
Old 10-17-2013

Nice. Now my post looks all stupid n stuff up there. LOL
Old 10-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

It suuuure does
Old 10-21-2013

recent work

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 03.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	85902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 04.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	85903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 05.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	85904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 06.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	85905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 07.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	85906  

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 09.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	85907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 10.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	85908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 01.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	85909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent work - Oct 20 - 2013 - 02.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	85910  

Last edited by Stock 99; 10-21-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2013

So I finally got the speedo gear out of the Tcase today...I had to go buy a 32mm socket to get the yoke off since I didn't own one that big. Funny some stuff is in metric on this truck and other stuff is done in some Ford specialty tools (?) fortunately you can buy them at Canadian Tire.. they are weird..like 1/2 - 5/16 - 3/8 - 9/16.

Apparently they decided to stop making the speedo gear about 10 years ago so trying to find another one was kind of like trying to buy a unicorn. You should have heard my local Ford dealer when I called and asked about it. I am going to get bent over for the gear $20 coming out of Florida - shipping/duty is probably going to be around $80. Yeah, ouch...I haven't really spent any $$$ (and manged to fix almost everything) on it so far so I figured what the hell..I'd rather have a working speedo then a GPS unit.

Hopefully it will be the proper part when it gets here

The headlights were brutal...dirty especially the chrome reflector inside and water dropets inside as well. The lenses were 'sealed' so I had to spend some time with a razor blade carefully separating them.

I rotated the tires yesterday and was pleased to see what seems to be new brakes/rotors on the front so that made me pretty happy.

I put a new air filter in today since they were only $6. I also fixed the rough idle just by quicky cleaning the throttle body and that made me even happier. It sounds like money when it idles now.

There's pretty much nothing wrong with this truck anymore....alternator bearing needs to be replaced (easy)...new windshield wiper motor (simple)....front main seal(no problem)...that's about it.

I was looking at a few F150's my age with 9" suspension lifts and 35" tires...and they look good...proportional. I can get a brand new 9" lift with everything for under $1000...why the hell would you want monroe shocks and airbags for $700

Name:	Oct24-2013-1-Speedo-gear-tcase.jpg
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	85920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct24-2013-2-Headlight-re and re.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	85921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct24-2013-3-Headlight-re and re.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	85922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct24-2013-5-underside-pretty-much-done.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	85923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct24-2013-6-FR-brakes.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	85924  

Name:	Oct24-2013-7-FR-brakes.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	85925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct24-2013-8-underside.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	85926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct24-2013-9-underside.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	85927  
Old 10-24-2013

some stuff is in metric on this truck and other stuff is done in some Ford specialty tools (?) fortunately you can buy them at Canadian Tire.. they are weird..like 1/2 - 5/16 - 3/8 - 9/16.
Not funny, not unusual. Certainly not special.
Only a problem if you aren't used to the mix-n-match methods of 'Merican car building of that era.

Just one more reason I didn't like them back then.

I used to say "You aren't done working on a Ford until you have every last damn tool out of the toolbox."

Apparently they decided to stop making the speedo gear about 10 years ago so trying to find another one was kind of like trying to buy a unicorn. You should have heard my local Ford dealer when I called and asked about it. I am going to get bent over for the gear $20 coming out of Florida - shipping/duty is probably going to be around $80. Yeah, ouch...I haven't really spent any $$$ (and manged to fix almost everything) on it so far so I figured what the hell..I'd rather have a working speedo then a GPS unit.
Ford...DEALER? Oh hell, anything that hasn't been built in the last 7 years is obsolete to them.

Those are damn popular trucks. Aftermarket ought to have them available easy, cheap, and fast.
Transmission and 4 wheel drive sites?

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Fo...eter_Gears.htm
Old 10-24-2013

Apparently those tools are from some ancient system of measurement call 'imperial', huh. Learn something new everyday...seems like a pretty random system though.

I dunno, I looked everywhere and searched every way I could think of for days...buying it the way I did was really not ideal at all but rather the only place I could find.

The link you posted...been there...the part is still 'out of stock' and $50 + shipping...

Name:	the gear i need.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	85928  
Old 10-25-2013

The link you posted
I didn't look that close LOL.

Transtar? http://www.transtar1.com/standardsection.asp

This is not something I have ever looked for. If I needed one, I'd probably be calling a trans guy I used to work with 10 years ago, see what his sources are.
Old 10-30-2013

So my unicorn arrived today and it was the correct part as a matter of fact....so thank you Cobra Transmission of Florida. UPS however can burn in hell...but that is another story. Install was simple and easy and now I have a functioning speedo again, yay.

I cleaned up the front of the truck while I was putting the headlights back in. Straightened the bumper, (and earned a nice bloody cut on my face in the process) tucked away the block heater cord. Sprayed out the contacts on the wiper motor and lo and behold it started working again. I said it was an easy fix,lol

So if you overfill your wiper reservoir it just pour into your coolant. j/k First time I saw that though I thought it was pretty dumb. More so thinking people would just mix them up when pouring them in.

Name:	Oct30-2013-01-Headlights-cleaned-up.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	85945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-02-speedo-gear-tcase-seal.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	85946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-03-truck-no-eyes.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	85947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-04-truck-facelift.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	85948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-05-speedo-gear-install.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	85949  

Name:	Oct30-2013-06-speedo-gear-install.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	85950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-07-speedo-gear-install.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	85951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-08-speedo-gear-install.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	85952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct30-2013-09-coolant-wiper-fluid.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	85953  
Old 10-30-2013

So my unicorn arrived today

yay

UPS however can burn in hell...but that is another story.
Did they throw your valuable breakables over the fence?

Straightened the bumper, (and earned a nice bloody cut on my face in the process)
Um, just a friendly tip: Yer doin' it wrong. You ain't sposedta use yer face fer that.
Yer welcome.
So if you overfill your wiper reservoir it just pour into your coolant. j/k
I always did wonder if any of those would ever fail like that.

More so thinking people would just mix them up when pouring them in.
Blue juice mixed in the coolant is far less trouble than antifreeze smeared all over your windshield!

Quick Reply: 1990 Ford F150 - thoughts and advice?