General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Kid next door owned himself.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004
VTEC MASTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
Kid next door owned himself.

He's got a 95 Probe. I had one for a short while and it was a pretty neat car back then. Anyway he decides to wax it. He goes around with RUBBING COMPOUND ALL OVER THE CAR! Needless to say it looks horrible after he took it off. I let the poor 10th grader in on a secret....you cant use this on clearcoat paint!!!!

Im at a loss. Is there anythng he can do to bring back some of the finish? Wet sand the whole thing???
Old 08-22-2004
I drive a jeep to compensate for my tiny pee pee

Blue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enoughBlue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enough
ouch that sucks is his paint really messed up so that he has to repaint it?
Old 08-22-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
What is rubbing compound?
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

huyqvu is an unknown quantity at this point
would possibly wheel it out. hmm but when i painted my parts, i wet sanded then used 3m rubbing compound to take out the 2000grit marks.
Old 08-22-2004
ALGARETE

PICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by huyqvu
would possibly wheel it out. hmm but when i painted my parts, i wet sanded then used 3m rubbing compound to take out the 2000grit marks.
3M COMPOUND RULES

my sister bought some turle wax rubbing compound from auto zome.
after i read the instructions i told her not to use it.. the f@cking can said " try in a spot hidden spot" basicaly to see if it damaged the paint..well she didnt listen and she messed the hole car also..... she calls me crying hours later and i was like WOAH..... she had to paint the car again...
lucky someone key,d her car up that night.......
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Wet sanding wont help the kid. Maybe try putting a couple of coats of wax and see if that helps.
Old 08-22-2004
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
wat the hell is going on here. im a noob when it comes to detailing, please explain more what mistake he made so i won't do the same. i only use meguairs 3 step system right now so i guess stick to it huh
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

slvrcivic will become famous soon enoughslvrcivic will become famous soon enough
rubbing compound does not necessarily ruin paint. There are all different grades of courseness on rubbing compound.

Actually using a fine rubbing compound all over the car can do a great service to your paint. It can almost act like a clay bar. It will remove garbage in your paint, and smooth out the finish.

I've used compound on a # of cars. After I used a wax or polish, and the car turns out baby butt smooth.

I'm not sure what this kid did though? Used like the most course and now he's got scratches in his paint or something?

If that is the case, wax might hide it for a short time, and then it's just going to start showing up again.
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
damn that really sucks, and a good paint job is pretty expensive.
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

StaticX is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn rubbing compound wow well i freak out jus using the mequires paint cleaner
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

APRboy is on a distinguished road
ah that bites!! Take it to a detailing shop and see what they say.
Old 08-22-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
It always amazes me when someone does stuff before they read into it or find out more about a process before they just "dive right in". Oh well, it's how you learn I suppose but I am one of those people who do not like to learn the hard way. That's why I love forums!
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

kalipnoi can only hope to improve
i was told you can use rubbing compound to get scuff marks out of your paint. is that true? cuz there is someone elses car paint on my door from slamming their door open!
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

slvrcivic will become famous soon enoughslvrcivic will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kalipnoi
i was told you can use rubbing compound to get scuff marks out of your paint. is that true? cuz there is someone elses car paint on my door from slamming their door open!
yes you can. Rubbing compound works great to get paint, scufs, etc out of paint. Just look at autozone or whatever. There are different grades of GRIT almost like sand paper. Have someone at autozone look at your car and see the mark. They can usually tell you what one to use.

I've always used just a fine texture one and it's worked great.
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

kalipnoi can only hope to improve
thanks
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
You guys know of the X10 stuff?

Thats what the kid should have been using...

But yea i tried to get a scratch out and forgot my new paint on my new car is Nothing like my old 95 civic. ouch i have a tiny spot thats a lil scratched up
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

takadadojo is an unknown quantity at this point
post pics and we can see how we can help.

TK
Old 08-23-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
Have him follow up with a finer grained polishing compound then wax it.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
3M rubbing compound own3d my last car. I was a noob not knowing what I was doing. Lesson learned. Now I read up on Autopia before taking on new projects.
Old 08-23-2004
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
"The most popular people on the internet are the biggest losers of the real world"

Word!!!!
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Diver is on a distinguished road
depending on how bad and how course the compound was....

if it wasa fine one he should be able to re-wax and it stay good for a while like slvrcivic
had stated.

If it was real course, he is going to have to wetsand and repaint

if it isnt too bad and its the factory paint job....he can:
wetsand then buff, then wetsand again the apply clear coat of paint
for new look...but going to double check with my uncle since he is a
lifteime body man and I only did it for a few years
Old 08-23-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Long as he uses some fine compound then buffs and waxes, it'll be fine. Rubbing compound is more for rubbing out the base coats and stuff to get rid of grainy imperfections in paint.
Old 08-23-2004
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
rubbing compound is also great on really, really old cars with oxydized, faded finishes and stuff.

Man...you better tell that kid not to try anything funny anymore.
Old 08-24-2004
Registered!!

nutted is an unknown quantity at this point
depends wat cut compound he uses......if he used a heavy cut compound. first i would use a fine cut compound with a wool pad and a buffer machine to smoothin out the deep scratches.......than use meguire's #7 show car glaze(its a polish)with a foam pad n do one section at a time n wipe off before it dries preferbly with a micro fiber towel, its the heat that the buffer creates that makes the clearcoat shine. if u dont have a buffer than apply it by hand in a side to side motion, again wipe off before it dries(no circurlar motion), than use ne wax by hand with a circular motion with a wax pad using minimal amount of wax, let it dry for bout 30-60 mins n than remove. i usually use only a dime amount per panel. #27 meguire's wax is pretty good......the reason for the minimal amount is 1. its easier to remove 2. ur just wasting wax cause ppl think more wax the better....if not than take it to a detail shop, gd luck