General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Toyota FTX concept pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Exclamation Toyota FTX concept pickup truck

Detroit, Michigan - Toyota unveiled a concept pickup truck that provides a hint about the direction in size and styling of Toyota's next big-truck platform.

"The FTX concept was developed to make a bold statement about Toyota's future full-size pickup truck plans," said Jim Press, executive vice president and COO, Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A.

At nearly 19-feet in length, nearly seven feet in width, and six-and-one-half feet in height, the FTX is a full-sized body-on-frame, "Super-C-Cab" 4x4 pickup truck. It has the interior room of a double cab, and "suicide doors" that open 90 degrees.

Exterior features include bumpers with integrated tow hooks and special hideaway universal carabiner-type tie-down hooks in the truck bed. Underneath the rear skid-plate is a unit that houses an electric generator, an air compressor and other outlets. Inside the bed is a solid metal collapsible hidden job box that can be erected for safe storage of tools and supplies. Finally, hidden away in the rear tailgate is a smooth operating hideaway ramp that extends to the ground when the gate is open, allowing heavy items to be rolled into the bed, instead of being lifted.

Inside, a wide centre console separates at a large centre display panel. The console contains an armrest-mounted control-arm that includes all instrumentation and an operational lever that is angled toward the driver. The seat height and steering wheel angle of the FTX are positioned extremely high, giving the driver a feeling of total command and conveying the feel of operating a big rig. Suspension seats isolate the driver and passenger from rough terrain and include deep center pads styled after a horseman's saddle for comfort.

"The recent launch of the Tundra Double Cab and the new FTX concept offers a good indication to how Toyota's large truck evolution is progressing," said Press. "And make no mistake about it. With our expansion in San Antonio, we are on a serious mission to build big truck market share."
- CanadianDriver.com

Exterior Features

-Bumpers with integrated tow hooks and special hideaway universal carabiner-type tie-down hooks in the truck bed.

-Underneath the rear skid-plate is a multi-functional unit that houses an electric generator, an air compressor and other outlets.

-Inside the bed is a solid metal collapsible hidden job box that can be erected for safe storage of tools and supplies.

-In the rear tailgate is a hideaway ramp that extends to the ground when the gate is open, allowing heavy items to be rolled into the bed, instead of being lifted.

Interior Features

-The instrument panel and center console arch bend outward, wrapping around each occupant, forming two protective cells.

-A wide center console separates at a large center display panel. The console contains an armrest-mounted control-arm that includes all instrumentation and an operational lever that is angled toward the driver.

-The seat height and steering wheel angle of the FTX are positioned high. Suspension seats isolate the driver and passenger from rough terrain and include deep center pads styled after a horseman's saddle for comfort.

-Floating, foldaway rear seats are styled after recreational boats. The rear seat base is affixed to a center beam, suspending the seats off the floor for under-seat storage.

-Over-sized door and pillar pull handles and seat mounted grips assist in getting in and out of the truck.

-A large overhead track lamp can be pulled down and slide side-to-side across the cabin.

POWERTRAIN

-V8 Hybrid Gas-Electric Engine

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall Length: 228.0

Overall Width: 82.5

Overall Height: 77.2

Wheelbase: 149.8

Bed Length: 84.0

Tire Size: 355/55 R22

I think it looks pretty cool, definitely big, definitely mean looking. It probably won't have as large tires in the production version, but even so, I think it looks pretty cool, and will, be a good truck, it is a Toyota afterall, and it'll definitely have power to back up the look with a hyrbrid big-block V8.

More info here

Last edited by Majarvis; 01-30-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I like it, along with their new retro FJ LandCruiser...

The lines are rounded while being manly...
Old 01-30-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
big tires
Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

philsep36 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks alright. iam definately diggin them wheels. although i am wonderin if it will have the power and durability of a domestic. i have an f-250 and it would be hard for me to switch to an unproven toyota
Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Originally posted by philsep36
although i am wonderin if it will have the power and durability of a domestic. i have an f-250 and it would be hard for me to switch to an unproven toyota
I was watching some show on SPEED tonight, can't recall the name, and they said it will have around 400 hp/400 lb-ft from the big-block V8/hybrid combo, so I'd say it's up to the challenge power wise, it's certainly big enough, and if it does indeed have that much power, then it should suffice. I definitely think Toyota is going in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Stay with ur F-250