General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2004 Chrysler Crossfire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
2004 Chrysler Crossfire?

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/detai..._overview.html

3.2-liter
V6
215hp
18-mpg city
27-mpg highway

looks ok to me, but for around $31,000 nah

what do u guys think?
Old 08-17-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
What Edmunds.com Says
DaimlerChrysler's first attempt at infusing Chrysler products with Mercedes underpinnings and heritage results in a fun-to-drive coupe with stunning looks.

Pros
Sleek and sexy styling, exceptional handling dynamics, quiet interior, long list of standard features.

Cons
Needs more low-end torque, steering not as precise as its competitors, interior surfaces feel cheap, controls aren't completely intuitive.

What's New for 2004
For 2004, Chrysler introduces an all-new sport coupe called the Crossfire. The first true product of the Mercedes-Chrysler collaborative effort, the Crossfire is designed to lure traditional luxury import buyers away from the likes of Acura, Infiniti and Lexus and into a Chrysler showroom instead.

Introduction:
During the past decade, Chrysler sales have increased nearly four times the 1991 total sales figure. With positive momentum building, DaimlerChrysler has set an aggressive sales goal for its Chrysler brand. It believes it can boost sales another 40 percent by the end of 2004 by introducing several exciting new models that capture the public's attention in segments and price ranges that Chrysler has never attempted in the past. The Crossfire sport coupe is just such a car. With its dashing good looks and healthy dose of German engineering courtesy of Mercedes-Benz, the Crossfire certainly isn't your mother's aging Chrysler sedan. Instead, the Crossfire is poised to remake Chrysler's image in a bold, new way.

Two years ago, Chrysler proudly unveiled the Crossfire concept car at the 2001 North American International Auto Show. After receiving favorable reaction from the automotive press and consumers, the new sport coupe was put on the fast track -- scheduled to start production for the 2004 model year. Chrysler's engineering team got busy immediately, and the production version was unveiled at the 2002 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Chrysler believes the Crossfire coupe will attract new buyers -- consumers who have traditionally purchased luxury import models. Reaping the benefits of its Mercedes-Benz corporate ties, the Crossfire is the first true Mercedes-Chrysler collaborative effort, featuring 39 percent Mercedes-Benz technology. That figure alone should catch established import buyers' attention, along with the fact that the Crossfire is based on its corporate cousin-- the SLK roadster.

The Crossfire name is derived from one of its many distinctive design cues  the character line that runs along the Crossfire's sides from front to rear. The "X" that is created when the line crosses to a negative formation as it moves through the car's rear fender is the "cross."

Other interesting design elements that enhance the car's windswept look are the six "speed" lines that run the length of the car's hood, and the center spine line that moves over the length of not only the exterior, but through the interior as well. Interior lines were set to focus attention down the road, and the distinctive center line even cuts through the center console.

After driving the Crossfire, we can say that we wish it had more low-end torque, slightly better steering feel and less plastic and better ergonomics in the cabin, but we can't deny how much fun the car is on twisty roads, or how upscale it feels when cruising along coastal highways. We also can't deny the surprised expressions from mesmerized onlookers when we told them how much the car cost.

So despite all the internal infighting, quarterly red ink and lingering lawsuits from angry stockholders, this whole "merger of equals" thing between Chrysler and German automaker Daimler just might pan out. And even if it doesn't, the Crossfire is proof that we'll see some interesting product in the meantime. Need something pretty to look at and fun to drive? Perhaps it's time for a visit to the Chrysler dealer.

Body Styles, Trim Levels and Options:
Chrysler is so confident in the Crossfire's overall package that only one trim level is available and the options list is short. Standard features include leather upholstery; heated, power seats; manual dual-zone climate controls; one-touch power windows; and a 240-watt stereo with a CD player. The standard wheel/tire arrangement calls for 18s in front (with 225/40ZR18 Michelin Pilots) and 19s in back (with 255/35 rubber); buyers can get all-season tires as a low-cost option.

Powertrains and Performance:
The sole engine choice is the Mercedes-engineered 3.2-liter, SOHC V6 -- it produces 215 horsepower and 229 pound-feet of torque. Buyers have their choice of a slick-shifting six-speed manual transmission or a five-speed automatic.

Interior Design and Special Features:
If you're considering a Crossfire for reasons beyond pure performance, you'll be pleasantly surprised by its comfortable and quiet cabin. Entry and exit take some getting used to because of the low roof that curves down to meet the side windows, but once inside, headroom is plentiful due to the car's domed shape. And the standard high-backed, leather bucket seats emblazoned with the Chrysler logo are easy to slide into. Because of the car's swooping shape, rearward visibility is severely hampered. The handsome two-tone cockpit is accented with metallic trim and certainly personifies the Mercedes-Benz heritage. Peer closer and you'll see that most of the trim is merely silver plastic; the brushed metal shift **** for the six-speed is a notable exception. Moreover, some of the controls such as the radio's numerous unlabeled buttons are difficult to use. The 7.6 cubic feet of cargo space won't hold more than a couple of suitcases, but then, such is the reality when choosing to drive a two-seater coupe.

Driving Impressions:
Like the Mercedes' SLK roadster, with which it shares its engine, the Crossfire is quick but certainly not fast. Low-end torque is not plentiful, and most of the usable power is available between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm on the tach. The delivery is smooth throughout, however, and the slick shifting six-speed makes it fun to mix up the gears in order to keep the engine primed and ready. The Crossfire's stiff body structure and oversized tires give it crisp handling characteristics when exercised on back roads. We'd like a little more communication from the steering, but as it is, this sport coupe is a delight to drive. And on those occasions when you merely want to cruise down the highway, the Crossfire obliges with a smooth and quiet ride.

Last edited by cambo; 08-17-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
car looks amazing in real life. i wish i could test drive sometimes
Old 08-17-2003
I wish I was asian

i like it. i'd buy it. i wouldn't worry about it being just a chrysler.
Old 08-17-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
It's not bad, it certainly stands out, and has some quickness behind it.
Old 08-17-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
There is a grey one near my girlfriends house. I dont like the look of it, especially the back of it...Its got a real stubby rear end...
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
I think its an awsome looking car. Something that chrysler made that i finally like..
Old 08-18-2003
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
I love the look of it, everything except for the back.
Old 08-18-2003
Smell My Face!!

Distinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant future
dunno its all dodge tho....
Old 08-18-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I like it. I watched the C&D show on it. The suspension seems up to par with european/asian car makers. It should have a little more horsies but I like it.
Old 08-18-2003
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
For that price you can get a G35 coupe. No thanks.

The front looks like a minivan.. if you were to rip out the car from behind the hood and stick a minivan or suv body, it would work aesthetically. The front doesn't match the car, it's ugly. Not my style at all.

I do like the direction Chrysler's taking, but I think this one will flop.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
man, all the old people's car companies are making come-backs! The cadillac CTS, and now this. Geez I can't wait to be old.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Validus is an unknown quantity at this point
Its a domestic car it sucks

Heh I like it, not my style though needs more power.

btw it looks nothing like a minivan! i mean comeon the Si looks alot more like a minivan than that. The front looks like a CTS, not a minivan.

Last edited by Validus; 08-19-2003 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

AZD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually it's way more Mercedes than Chrysler, so the lame argument that "it's a Dodge, so it sucks", or, "it's a domestic, so it must suck" doesn't cut it. I personally LOVE the way it looks. Now if they could just stuff a nice "kompressor" into the engine bay and give it 300+hp with hardly any more weight over the front end that way, that would rock!!!! I'd sport one then if had some $$$ lying around....
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

LSIII is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd buy it in a second......all it is, is a coupe version of the Mercedes SLK 320
Old 08-19-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
i saw one rolling down the strip a while back.. i was like WTF was that? and i couldnt identify it... cause i had never seen it before...
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think I would but it. Its alright but not something I would considir
Old 08-20-2003
I wish I was asian

actually its only 35% mercedes parts..

but their engineers worked with chrysler engineers, so its sort of 50% german engineered.
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
I work for a Chrysler dealership so i have had tons of hands on expierence with this car. So i will give my input.
First of all...its actually 80% Mercedes. Its so Mercedes that is even has Mercedes emblems on the brake calipers. Lots of thought has been put into this car...and all around, its not that bad. But it isnt all that great either. OTD price would be closer to $37-38K...and for that i would rather get something with performance. 215HP doesnt feel like nearly enough when behind the wheel. Although i will give it to them, the handling is great. The ride is smooth. I love the fact that it comes with 18 and 19in. rims from factory. The seats could be a little more supportive for those hard turns. Visibility sucks big time in this car. Thats one thing that the makers overlooked i think. The styling is a little too in your face for my tastes. I dont really like the center mounted exhaust in the back...and to be honest the rear just looks like a 350Z. It falls off to sudden on the rear end. The accents suck on the car as well i think. On the picture in the first post of this thread you can see a silver strip around the front window...that color never changes. No matter which color you get with this car, that will always stick out like a sore thumb. The motor is infact the same motor as what is in the 300M...which is rated at a much higher HP level...so there might be untaped power there, but that should have been there from the get go.
Give about 260Hp, with good torque to boot...change the styling a bit and i think there are on the right track. From expierence...its a bitch to sell. The biggest complaint is "for this much...wheres the ***** to the wall power?"