Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

AC Compressor - need help on the part

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jtdunn4life is an unknown quantity at this point
AC Compressor - need help on the part

My mechanic (who has always been great) has diagnosed that my ac compressor is locked up and I need a replacement. He said NipponDenso is the brand he will use cause it's very reliable. He quoted me over $400 for the part. Went to the Denso website and found the part number 471-1420. Googled the part number and lots of online retailers are selling the part for around $200. I bought one and attached a photo of the label.

an over $200 mark up is steep for anyone and this guy has never done anything like that. so am I somehow not looking at the same part or is there a different denso part out there I'm missing?

I just want to make sure I get the right part. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	88989  
Old 08-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC Compressor - need help on the part

He quoted me over $400 for the part.
Quoted for the part only, or for the whole job?

Look up your car and compressor in any online Honda dealer parts catalog, price a reman unit there. Compare wholesale online price to manufacturers suggested retail price. MSRP is probably a bit above $400 (I don't know what your car specifics are).
Take that Honda part number and see if you can get the Denso part number cross reference guide to see if the Denso number still matches.

Any decent shop SHOULD mark up parts above their cost, PLUS charge you tax on said parts. If you whine about it, they should marked up even higher. (There are bills to pay. Few people go into business to make friends.)
Many dealers charge higher than MSRP, so do many independents.

If you supply your own parts to the shop (if they let you do that in the first place), the labor fees should be raised to cover lost parts profit.

It's gonna be funny if your stock compressor is a Sanden and your shiny new Denso unit won't fit.