Part and Product Reviews This forum is for part and product reviews only!

ingalls "stiffy" torque damper

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ingalls "stiffy" torque damper

this is the engine shock thing that ingalls makes to tie the engine mount to the chassis for less engine movement and better power transfer to the wheels.

install: was suck. i needed to buy new deep sockets for the engine mount bolts, and at the end the thing would not fit together without some hammer work lol. but i got it on and tightened everything in about 2 hrs with a trip to the store for parts. left it at the stock "softer" setting.

pros: it does its job. gives the car a more "race" feel because of the vibration. whole car vibrates, not really that bad, and only at idle or very low speed under 5mph. above that, it feels pretty much stock. accel from a stop is greatly improved, you can punch it and the car pretty much takes off immediately. as for more hp, not really, but it makes the car feel different. you can feel it crank when you turn on the car, and just when first driving off from a stop.

cons: and this is kinda a big one, you cant use the neuspeed bar safely with it. not enough threads. but, i would rather have the damper and have to turn my steering wheel a bit more without the bar. and the rearview mirror vibrates alot, all the time to the point where images are blurry unfortunately. not a huge problem cause you dont look at it that much, but it still does it. the fit is tight on EX with abs, the bracket has to be tightened against the abs unit, hopefully wont be a problem later.

overall id say its a mod worth keeping, and for the price (dezod.com has it for well under $200), it looks nice and offers a bit more functionality.

installed pic

Last edited by gearbox; 08-09-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redem2 has a spectacular aura aboutredem2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: ingalls "stiffy" torque damper

got pics of the install?

i installed mine for about two weeks. i drove the car out of the garage today and the abs and brake light came on. need to fix problem. but hammering it in?
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yikes abs light came on? hmm that doesnt sound good. what i meant was i had to connect the damper to the brackets and then mash on the strut plate to get it over the studs cause otherwise with the brackets tightened, the damper would not line up exactly. ill snap a pic later today. i was too sweaty and tired. but yea i was a bit worried when tightening the engine brakcet as it was pushing against the abs box. hope the vibration doesnt damage it. is there a way to just take it out? cause abs is more of a problem to me anyway. i never have had it come on except in snow, and when it did it took alot longer to stop.

hey i found your problem, prolly installed it backwards. or the fuse popped out of the holder.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...y-install.html

Last edited by gearbox; 08-08-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

here's how mine looks...

also, i checked the fuses and they all seem to be fine and secure. the fuse don't seem to be the problem, unless there's a fuse inside the abs box...i don't know, maybe it'll just go away by itself... lol
Old 08-08-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the review. i just wish we could settle on whether or not it can be installed with the neuspeed bar. you say it can't be done safely, but blouisgod was selling one, saying it was fine with the neuspeed bar. are there variations in the length of the bolts on the top strut mount, from year to year, or something?? I was looking at my car, with the neuspeed bar installed, and it seems like i have about three threads showing on top of the nut. How thick is the bracket on the "stiffy"??
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

this is a diy for removing abs on a prelude...

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=1347569

should be similar. maybe you can attempt this and write a diy.
Old 08-08-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

i love my ABS!
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Nice to see a write up- I've been meaning to get one.

Dont your struts / coilover studs affect if the stiffy will fit or not with said bar?
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

^ i don't think so. if you studs have excess thread you'll be fine.
Old 08-08-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

What did you have to hammer to get it on there, gear? Mine installed slicker than snot. After I discovered I had it on there backwards.
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

yeah it does. some aftermarket tein full coilovers have longer studs than oem or oem replacements like tokico. on oem and tokico, the bar and damper will fit on together, but youre only gonna be able to put the bolt on a few turns which is really unsafe. also the bar wont be sitting flush/even with the other side which im not sure is an issue. but you want at least the whole bolt to be threaded which is the case with just the bar or just the damper. you dont want that strut to come off, those are very critical bolts.

i thought there was a fuse in the abs module somewhere, and that the stiffy could vibrate it loose over time. idk, ill look in service book to see if theres anything there. cause thats the only place i would suspect since the damper is touching it. the abs module doesnt have to be in a specific position right?

like i said about the hammering, i had to tighten down the engine plate first, then connect the stiffy to both brackets, and then gently try to hammer on the strut plate with the stiffy already bolted to each side. until it finally went on and i tightened the strut tower bolts. if i just put the brackets first, then tried to bolt the stiffy, there was no way it would reach one side.

Last edited by gearbox; 08-08-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

^ my thoughts exactly, but i pmed rennen to confirm it's inside the module. i've been working on my car all week trying to tweak everything.

i installed the brackets first and the damper slipped right on. my setting is on 14mm. im just curious as to how you installed yours, because i've installed the damper every way possible and found the way that i have it know to have the least vibration. either way, vibration sucks with the ac on. :P
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

hyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nice

vibration also irritates me when i installed mine.also terrible when the ac is on.tried dynamat under the bracket but it's still vibrates.maybe, it vibrates on the dc sports strut bar too.i'll try again tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2007

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

your ABS light still on gear? or was it the fuse?
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

i like the vibration lol, makes car feel more powerful haha. oh and it wasnt me with abs light, i just had the part on for a day. altho on cold starts it shakes like a ****. once it gets warmer and stuff, usually not a big deal. some older cars shake too but they dont have a damper installed lol. ill get pics today sorry for the delay, im trying to finish interior led dome lights.
Old 08-09-2007

okay my mistake thanks!
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

abs problem almost solved! oh, by the way, if your damper is touching the abs box you're almost gurantee to have the problem. because mine keeps coming on and going off, so i'm thinking it's caused by the vibration of the damper against the module. anyhow, i'll have this problem figured out in a few days...hopefully... i have to get my wisdom tooth taken out in an hour, so ya'll pray for me! :P
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

let us know what the problem is, cause mine is also touching the box. didnt think it would matter, but not sure how it can be avoided due to no space to move anything. updated first post with a big pic, and here are pics of the mount spots

Old 08-11-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

It was pain in the *** for me to install it too. The hardest part was trying to get the damper and the bolts to line up on the bracket.

And I had to push my ABS unit like almost 1/2" with damper installed. So far it hasnt shown a problem and I have been driving with the damper on for about 5000 kms on the the softest (15mm) setting.
Old 08-11-2007
Premium Member

ya what is the factory setting like 14mm? it says it set on the soft side and i didnt bother adjusting it. i think it got broken in a bit cause i almost cant tell its there. once car is warm theres very little shaking.
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DDragon7
It was pain in the *** for me to install it too. The hardest part was trying to get the damper and the bolts to line up on the bracket.

And I had to push my ABS unit like almost 1/2" with damper installed. So far it hasnt shown a problem and I have been driving with the damper on for about 5000 kms on the the softest (15mm) setting.
^ how'd you push it back? i'm trying to relocate the sucker.
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

i think he means when you tighten the bracket down, it pushes and moves the abs to the right. thats what happened with mine too. does anyone know if that mirror plastic piece pops off? im gonna try and put some rubber brace around to dampen vibration.
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

^ i took mine off and the damper doesn't touch it anymore, but the braket still does, so my light still keeps coming on and going off. i'm thinking about moving the whole module over a tad bit.
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

can you try just taking off the engine mount bracket and see if the light goes off? that way at least we know its not permanent damage. i dont know how the abs works, but i cant imagine why vibration (which happens already when the chassis moves around) would cause problems.
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

oh, i forgot to mention. lol the other day, after i got my teeth pulled out, i started the car and the lights were off so i took the damper off (brackets and everything) and then drove the car like crazy and the lights never came back on. i, then, went home, installed the damper, and removed the black thing that covered the wires that the damper was rubbing against and upon starting the car everything was normal. took the car for a drive, and as soon as i smashed on the gas pass 4k rpm damn light comes back on. so yeah...it's the vibration of the bracket or damper that's causing something to become loose. i don't think the damage is permanent...probly just something that's loose. also, i'm thinking about either drilling a hole and moving the damn module over a bit or just completely removing the abs. i've just been too drowsy from all the pain killers to worry about anything lately. maybe i'll have it figured out once i fully recover.

Last edited by redem2; 08-12-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

you cant just remove abs, you gotta swap out a ton of other parts including master brake cylinder (non abs version) and bunch of other things. id say thats not really an option. what happens when abs light is on, just the abs doesnt work? seems like maybe its not very serious, you just wont have the abs working when it needs to.
Old 08-13-2007
Premium Member

everything works fine...it's just annoying having the damn light on! braking still feels the same.
Old 03-05-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

I feel the need to bump this because mine is doing the same thing. I'm gonna find a damn solution to this.
Old 03-05-2008
Premium Member

abs light? hmm mine never came on for the couple months i had it.
Old 03-05-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

I looks at the Ingalls site and noticed that mine is missing a few components. Here is what I got with mine.

Here is what Ingalls shows as coming with it that I was missing.

I didn't have the extra nuts and washer, so mine sat below the nuts that hold the motor mount on. Subsequently, there is a notch in the motor mount that the bracket wouldn't clear, so I dremeled it not knowing I was missing pieces.

As you can imagine, this is cause the ETD to sit lower than intended and is likely causing the constant pressure on the ABS unit. However, from the top, it's mounted correctly.

I did notice that there was some play in the unit though. Not sure how stiff it's intended to be but this one definitely wasn't 100% stiff. I might call Ingalls later on that. I can feel the fibration in the brake pedal slightly, and it does emit some vibration sounds around 3500RPM, but the car still has wheel hop and I'm not sure if there's a problem with the ETD. I'll keep you guys posted as I go.

Quick Reply: ingalls "stiffy" torque damper