I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Radio Wiring / In-Dash clock resets

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LorenzoC0395 is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio Wiring / In-Dash clock resets

SO, I got my car and it had an aftermarket HU installed. I have a Boss HU DVD/CD player for the car just not installing that one quite yet. but IT DOES work in the car. I wired a harness and had the HU working however while putting it in, the harness in the dash had some weird looking wire connectors on it and i went to move them out of the way and one of the connectors came off (One is on a blue wire, the other on a yellow wire) but the blue one touched the metal behind the dash when the connector came undone. It had a quick spark and the HU did not respond again at all. The HU was not damage thank goodness, however, i did repair the broken wires but not now no HU will work in the car. I know i repaired the wires correctly (Dad's an electrician, he made me learn the wiring stuff) but i tried hooking up 4 different HU and all were unresponsive. I have purchased a new wireing harness for the aftermarket HU going in until i get ready to put in the nicer one but have not tried to see if the old harness got fried or not. However, the in-dash clock also resets everytime the car is shut off and basically all it does now is keep up with how long i drive. Ive checked the fuses for both HU and Dash and all fuses are okay, so could anyone else steer me into another direction to check things to fix my dash clock problem, and also would the faulty wiring for HU be connected to the clock problem or could it be two different problems. Any suggestions before I go ripping the dash out to find the solution or is that my best bet maybe?
Old 03-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radio Wiring / In-Dash clock resets

(Dad's an electrician, he made me learn the wiring stuff)
Ive checked the fuses for both HU and Dash and all fuses are okay
Dad should have taught to check ALL fuses no matter what they are labeled, and how to use a test light to check them quickly and efficiently.
Being able to read wiring diagrams is a big help too. Might stop you from ripping the dash out.

I bet you blew the back up fuse in the engine compartment box.

And please tell exactly what your car is in the first post whenever you make a thread. Makes it easy for us old folk to figger out LOL

HTH
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LorenzoC0395 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about not specifying everything, I was in a hurry and needed some help lol. The car is a 93 Honda civic EX. I had checked all fuses even the ones in fuse box under the hood. It actually did happen to be the wiring harness going to all the speakers in the car. Who ever done the wiring in the car previously to me owning it had not done a very well job and connecting everything terribly, the power wire was held together with electrical tape, and there were places where other things were connected to receive some juice for something I'm guessing. I did have to take down part of the dash, not all but it wouldn't have been that bad if I had to, and replaced the entire harness. Way less aggravating than having to find every pad part and solder and shrink wrap everything together. so, everything is gravy now. Thanks again, still new to the whole forum thing.
Old 03-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I guess its almost impossible to predict what someone can hack up when it comes to wiring in a car. Glad you got it figured out.