Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

problem with oversize oil drain screw!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jussplaindee is an unknown quantity at this point
problem with oversize oil drain screw!

so i recently put in da oversized drain plug in and it was put in cricket, thinking its not going to leak because it was already hard to screw in. i put the oil in and waited over night its startes to leak. what should i do? keep screwing it in? or take it out and try to put it str8? also if i do wouldnt it mess up da thread again?
Old 12-11-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: problem with oversize oil drain screw!

Sounds like you cross threaded the **** out of it.

Chances are, you're gonna have to pull the oil pan and re-tap the drain threads, probably to a bigger size, then get a bigger sized drain plug with the correct thread pitch.

Either that or get a new oil pan..

By oversized drain plug, do you mean physically larger? If so, why?
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

yes by oversized i meant slightly larger drain plug. only reason why i did get the oversize is because im low on cash right now and also i did bought a oil pan off of crack list and he gave me da wrong oil pan. i have a d16z6 and he gave me the wrong one. so im just lost right now
Old 12-11-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Why did you buy an oil pan off craigslist, its very difficult to understand what your trying to say. What you need is the proper sized drain plug, installed correctly, I'm not sure why you would have done anything else.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

iono my pops try to be da "hands on man" but im taking it to da shop soon so see how much for new oilpan and installations
Old 12-13-2010
Bringer Des Blutes

StaticFire450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just by some JB weld and make a weak mixture. instead of 1:1 do like 1:3 or 1:2 and test it on something before you use it with the bolt. Make sure that after it has dried for over 48 hours, That it is still solid, But can be broken. If its too solid, you wont ever be able to get the bolt off. If its too soft it will soften as the engine heats up, and then you got JB weld all through your block(VERY BAD). Buuut if you think you can get the mixture right, you can create a good lock-tite substitute for metal. and save about 150$ in the process.

I have done this numerous amount of times. Car engines, Fourwheeler(2 stroke, which get VERY hot), and go carts... I have had some bad oil drain plug luck.
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

dailydriverEX is an unknown quantity at this point

The oversized oil pan screws are self tapping. Get a double oversized one now that you've ruin the oversized one. Just make sure you tap it straight now.