Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID Projector Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HerpDerp1919 is an unknown quantity at this point
HID Projector Retrofit

Has anyone done an HID projector retrofit on a 6th gen? or know of a good write-up? I want HIDs but wanna do it the right way but I have no idea where to start.
Old 10-12-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: HID Projector Retrofit

The process is similar to a 7th gen and other car models.

Check out www.theretrofitsource.com for more info. They have general instal instructions that can be applied to all headlights.
Old 10-12-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

@GolNat: Man, they used to have a whole research section too, which was really helpful. I wonder why they removed it...
All you need to do is pull them beeches apart, take the old stuff out and put the new stuff in. Just make sure you have all the tools so you don't have to throw everything back together and run to Lowe's like I did.
I'm considering taking everything back out and spraying my reflectors gray to further minimize glare.
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

Okay, so it is pretty similar to a 7th gen. Read a few write ups on doing it as well. From what ove seen, it looks like Morimoto Minis will slide right it, not a terrible amount of modification necessary.
Old 10-12-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HerpDerp1919
Okay, so it is pretty similar to a 7th gen. Read a few write ups on doing it as well. From what ove seen, it looks like Morimoto Minis will slide right it, not a terrible amount of modification necessary.
Yeah, all you need is a heat gun or oven to heat up the seals so you can pull them apart, some basic tools like a screwdriver if you aren't planning to do any other mods besides the install (I needed a security Torx bit to remove my amber inserts) an some sealant to reseal them (TRS offers a HUGE roll for like 10 bucks). The whole process takes less than half a day if you're REALLY meticulous and make mistakes like me. Just make sure you get your headlights aimed properly when you're done.
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

Alright, Im getting a different set of headlights (they have a black surround and im painting the reflector part black as well) so ill probably do everything I can to seal that housing up. Well, my only hold up right now is that all the write ups ive read are using Morimoto Mini 4.0/4.1 and now theyre selling Morimoto Mini 6.0s so I contacted them to make sure they are physically the same. Did you go with bi-xenon or just the low beam? If you went bi, how did you wire it up to use your high beam, ive read that some people have issues with that.
Old 10-12-2014
Super Moderator

On my car it was super easy. I got the bixenons and they come with a relay harness that plugs into your existing one. The hardest parts were finding grounding points and a place to put the relay box. It's THAT easy! Just make sure you order the right harness.

The relay box is the gold thing to the right of my battery.

The halos (optional) and their harness (red box, above air filter) were more difficult, but still took less than an hour.
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

okay, so they provide the harness with the kit, but it says to plug it in to a bare harness and plug it in to my cars factory light harness. Im pretty sure i need those factory harnesses for my HIDs
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

Also, i have an H4/9003 bulb in my civic. How would I go about converting it to H1?
Old 10-12-2014
Super Moderator

What harnesses do you have?
Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

Its a weird lookin one. But I got it all figured out now. TRS sells a relay thats all plug and play. (well except all the retrofitting)
Old 10-13-2014
Super Moderator

Yep! If you have any questions, the guys are really helpful over the phone or email!