Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

single knock on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimdog is an unknown quantity at this point
single knock on startup

I have a 2000 civic ex. It still runs great for the most part. The engine sounds good from idle up to red line. It does have 220k miles on it though. It does vibrate a bit while idling though. It has the d16y8 engine and 5 speed manual. When I start my car cold I get a single knock from somewhere (clutch depressed while starting) . It only does it once and only when it's cold. But I do occasionally get a click or even a slight knock when releasing the clutch in first gear. Any ideas what it is? As far as I know the clutch has never been changed, most of the miles are highway miles, and the engine mounts may or may not be in questionable condition.
Old 04-15-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: single knock on startup

Can you get someone else to start it while you watch the engine to see if it is rocking back and hitting something (bad mounts)?

Try jacking it up and moving the wheels with your hands in all directions to hear anything.

Also try removing the front wheels and trying to get it to knock with out load.