Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please someone help, idk what the problem is

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jameron_Caster is an unknown quantity at this point
Please someone help, idk what the problem is

So ive been having this problem lately. i drive a 95 integra LS. This problem can randomly happen, i will be driving and all of a sudden my rpm needle will shoot down to zero, then literally 1 to 2 seconds later it will pick back up and return to correct rpm. Sometimes it will shoot down to zero and stay at zero for 5 to 10 seconds and when i press the gas its like it doesnt register that im pressing the gas. I just leave it alone for a few seconds and it normally picks back up to normal rpm and i regain the ability to give it gas again. Its very hard to explain. Sometimes it will happen and all of my dash lights come on, my engine cuts off and i loose power steering. So i have to pull over and cut the car off and restart it. Then normally it will start fine. All of this is very random and sporadic and can happen at any time. Car can run fine for a month or two,then start acting up again. Recentlly it was happening so bad to a point that it wont even start now. It will crank but not turn over. Please help
Old 03-18-2015
AJ

endlesspurpose is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Please someone help, idk what the problem is

I am having the same issue with my 98 honda civic lx.. I am going to try and replace my igniter and see that is causing the issue. If it hasn't been done in awhile I would recommend replacing the distributor cap and ignition rotor as well while you are at it. Also how long has it been since your spark plugs have been changed? How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 03-19-2015
Registered!!

Jameron_Caster is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Please someone help, idk what the problem is

Originally Posted by endlesspurpose
I am having the same issue with my 98 honda civic lx.. I am going to try and replace my igniter and see that is causing the issue. If it hasn't been done in awhile I would recommend replacing the distributor cap and ignition rotor as well while you are at it. Also how long has it been since your spark plugs have been changed? How many miles do you have on your car?
I have 158k original miles. The wires and spark plugs are not OEM and they are pretty clean so I know they have been changed at some point. I've only had the car for six month. At this point it won't even start now. my buddy looked at it while I was trying to crank it over and he said it wasn't getting a spark. I've been thinking it was a number of things. Maybe a crack in the distributer cap, or maybe even my throttle position sensor. Could be alternator, or even the main fuel relay. I'm going to start by just doing a regular tune up..... I just know the problem can't be but so bad because it's not my engine. My engine runs strong when it's running good. Nor is it my transmission slipping cause my rpms would spike up if that was the case, not just randomly shot down