Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

*NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkDaysX6 is an unknown quantity at this point
*NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

I'm baaaaack with more of the D16y8 Auto-to-Manual problems. This time it's a no CRANK... Let me emphasize. No CRANK. Every time I search for related threads I get nothing but no START problems and I'm not that far yet haha.

I've got all the plugs on the harness run correctly (I think). Every plug seemed to fall back into place naturally like they're supposed to, except the plugs for the auto tranny obviously. When I put the battery and the ECU in and put the key in the ignition the dash lights up and it gives the trademark beeps but when I go to crank the engine over the radiator fan just comes on. No clicks from starter or relays, no stutters - nothing but the fan. When I release the key from the III position the fan stops and the silence continues. Could I have missed a ground cable or accidentally goofed up when I reconnected all of the plugs? Anyone got a detailed list of ground cables so I can double check that they're all there and bolted up? If it doesn't sound like a ground problem to you guys, what could it be? Someone said that I might have messed up on the plugs for the starter, but they all seemed to go on the same as they did before the swap. Would it possibly be a problem with the ECU/Engine mixture? I know 96-98 is OBD2a and 99-00 are OBD2b. I have a P2P-A12 D16y8 M-T ECU hooked up to an '00 automatic harness on a 96-98 engine because I blew the original engine and swapped it for a used one.

As I mentioned in the other threads - this is my first swap so be merciful on my ignorance of the topic. I come for advice, not the be a bother. I absolutely MUST get this swap done. I'm in a bit of a pickle because my gf's parents bought her the car and I blew the engine so it's my responsibility to make it run again. I've put a lot of money into buying the parts and I feel like I'm so close to the finish. I'm getting desperate so I would be willing to paypal some cash to someone who can walk me through this if that's your thing. I also have a high-res camera and can take pictures if needed.
Old 07-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

Double post....Damn cheap internet.

Last edited by ezone; 07-20-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

Can you make the starter run using a single jumper wire method at the starter? If it won't crank that way, then ignore the rest of what I wrote and concentrate on why the starter doesn't work first.

You really need to follow the wiring diagrams that cover the versions of the cars you are dealing with--one that covers your car, and the other that covers the drivetrain you just tried to put in it.

You need to be able to follow the diagrams, follow the actual wiring, compare wire positions between original and new harnesses, and test to see exactly where something went awry.

Find the differences and be able to alter or repin to adapt, and modify to make the change from auto to manual.

Starter uses a very simple circuit. Make the one circuit connect from A to B through about 6 different connectors, right? The auto trans used a Park/Neutral safety, so you may need to figure out HOW that worked and HOW to get around that. Manual should use a safety switch and maybe a relay connected to the clutch pedal, no clue of you have that or not.