Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic DX Won't Start When Warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChuckJunior is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 97 Civic DX Won't Start When Warm

I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX with the standard 1.6L 4 cylinder engine. This past Sunday, I drove into town to my fiance's house so we could go out to eat. When we tried to leave the house, I turned the key over, and all the electronics worked fine including the gauges, but when I tried to start it, nothing. Dead silence. So naturally I'm thinking starter issue. But I checked all the connections under the hood and everything was fine.

So I let it sit for maybe half an hour, and I went back outside just to see what it would do, and low and behold it fires right up. So I'm thinking okay case closed, and we head over to the strip mall, and we park up to decide where we want to go, and of course, I cut the car off. After we decided where we wanted to eat, I tried to start the car, but the same thing happened again - no clicking noise, no turning over. Just. Dead. Silence.

So I'm like screw it; we're here, so we might as well enjoy our meal. After we eat, we walk all the way back to the car, and once again, after sitting for a bit and cooling off, the car starts with no issue. So I drove her home, and once I got home, I cut the car off, and then back on, and it quit doing what it was doing.

I haven't had any trouble out of it since, but I need to figure out what was causing this in the first place. I live just outside of Columbus, GA, and I'm going to college in Birmingham, AL, in August. I don't need to get all the way up there with nobody to help me and then it starts doing this again. Does anyone have an idea as to what may have cause my issue? Any help would be much appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Old 07-28-2013
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 Civic DX Won't Start When Warm

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2620797