Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Don't know what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prettykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't know what to do...

I'm working on my 98 civic ex after my wife was driving and it died on the freeway. I got an error code the the cranshaft positioning sensor, so I replaced it along with the timing belt, and a few other things while I was at it (brake pads, driver's axle).
My problem is that I can't get the car to start... I've checked the timing, and made sure that its not at 180, I checked the compression & all the cylinders are getting between 90-110psi, which I know is low, but at least they're consistent.
What could be some causes of low compression? I replaced the head gasket maybe 8 months ago & made sure that the torque was correct, so that shouldn't be an issue. The car has around 185xxx miles on it. Routine maintenance hadn't been done at all before I bought the car, so I feel like at this point it could be anything. But the only error codes I'm getting (if I could get it to start) is for an O2 sensor slow responding (I think I have an exhaust leak).
I just don't know where to go from here. I need a direction to head in. If anyone can give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't know what to do...

all the cylinders are getting between 90-110psi, which I know is low, but at least they're consistent.
What could be some causes of low compression?
Out of time
Flooded
Ring leakage
Tight valves or valve leakage
Valves not opening
Slow cranking RPM
Gauge problem
Less than optimum test methods (covers many things)

and more
and it died on the freeway.
Got spark?

I got an error code the the cranshaft positioning sensor,
What was the code.......
I'm pretty sure the sensor by the crank pulley isn't needed to run the engine, it is only used for misfire detection.
Didn't we just go through much of this?

Did you get it to crank yet?
Old 02-19-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't we just go through much of this?

Did you get it to crank yet?
Am I just a confused old man?
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

I performed the compression test properly according to multiple web based searches... When I pulled the spark plugs they looked pretty charred, so I replaced them. I haven't gotten a chance to check for spark yet, but I have a feeling the timing is just off a bit. I don't have anyone who can crank the engine while I'm messing with the distributor, so it'll be a few days before I can figure that out. Hopefully I can rule out spark tomorrow though.
The cylinders seem to be getting fuel, and the compression isn't too horrible, so I guess it has to be either spark or timing.
Old 02-20-2013

Compression is horrible. I expect nearly double the readings you posted when all is well.
Old 02-21-2013
Registered!!

I know compression is bad, but it should still be enough to ignite... Anyway, I checked for spark today and got nothing... Any thoughts on what to check next?
Old 02-21-2013

Originally Posted by Prettykiller
I know compression is bad, but it should still be enough to ignite... Anyway, I checked for spark today and got nothing... Any thoughts on what to check next?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-fix-next.html
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

I assume then that you're suggesting the coil or coils is/are bad... I checked for spark using each if my four coils, so though it still is a possibility that they could all be bad, that would lead me to believe that this is not the most likely of situations. Regardless, I'll still check them. Either way, that other thread has Simeon pretty good 'go to' tips after I rule out the ignition coils.

I'm a bartender, and Sacramento beer week starts tomorrow, so I may be a but infrequent over the next few days... Please bear with me. And thank you for all of your help. I'm a fairly quick learner, but it makes it a lot harder not having anywhere to turn to for questions. I appreciate the help.
Old 02-22-2013

I checked for spark using each if my four coils,
You have a 98 Civic, no? You do not have 4 coils. There is only one, and it is inside the distributor.

I have a feeling you were talking about 4 spark plugs.

Continue testing and keep us posted.
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

You're right... I was checking the spark plug wires. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-27-2013
Registered!!

The cap & rotor were bad... Apparently they both pretty much exploded, along with the CFS going bad. Now I'm having electrical issues. ...the battery died off so I got a new one (the old one was done for), and now the new one isn't staying charged... So I'm goin to take the alternator out tomorrow (or should I say today) and have auto zone check it. Hopefully that's all it needs. I still have to shoot it with a timing light... It kinda lurches back a few times for the first 20 seconds or so when you haven't given it time to warm up all the way.

Thoughts on any of this?
Old 02-27-2013

and now the new one isn't staying charged.
Is the alternator not charging it properly?

or is something in the car staying on and killing the battery?
I still have to shoot it with a timing light.
If you find the timing incorrect, you need to think about it at least 3 times before you move the distributor. Once timing is set, it should never change over the life of the engine (unless someone moves the dist).