Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Just a girl that dunno lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK_Hondaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Just a girl that dunno lol

So I have a 98 EK and lately it's died on me. Ill be driving (obvi) and the check engine light will turn on and then the battery and oil light comes on , it gives me enough time to pull over then shuts down , the steering locks. It takes about 10 to 30 minutes to start back up. The Radio , lights and everything works. I don't know what the f is wrong with it. I've put a scanner to it and no code has came up. Now my check engine light is on and it's p1456 which is something to do with the fuel. Girl problems Hahaa.
Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Just a girl that dunno lol

P1456 is Evaporative Emission Control System leak (fuel tank area). It could any number of things. You need to find a service manual and diagnose for P1456. You also need a vacuum gauge.
Old 09-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

P1456 is not the reason it dies.
I'd be checking for loss of spark or fuel before chasing that code.

30 minutes actually sounds like an igniter problem. I'd be doing some tests while it is dead. If it is a dying igniter, it will probably be completely kaput soon.
Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
P1456 is not the reason it dies.
I'd be checking for loss of spark or fuel before chasing that code.

30 minutes actually sounds like an igniter problem. I'd be doing some tests while it is dead. If it is a dying igniter, it will probably be completely kaput soon.

Yea I know the code isn't the reason , the code came up months after. I'm just worried about why it dies , I wish it was though because when it died the check engine light came on but it doesn't save the code.
Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
antrmo is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont understand y the steering wheel locks up? this is a feature that happens when the key is turn backwards and a pin in your steering colum locks,hmmm, wierd the engine light and oil light come on,does the other lights come on too? as if u were starting it? what i mean is is it the same light
s on the dash coming up like when u start it? oil light comes on when oil pressure drops below a certain psi, bad oil pump?plug pick up screen? maybe something in the pan floating and getting caught once and awhile?. loose ecu in pass kick panel? .sorry im thinking of so many scenerios...
Old 09-23-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HK_Hondaaa
Yea I know the code isn't the reason , the code came up months after. I'm just worried about why it dies , I wish it was though because when it died the check engine light came on but it doesn't save the code.
The light came on because the engine stopped running, just like the rest of the idiot lights come on when it stops running.
There is no code to save, it wasn't a fault of something the computer can set codes for or monitors.
Normal for the situation.

Someone needs to figure out whether spark or fuel is missing when it quits. (It may be easier to figure out once it completely dies.)

i dont understand y the steering wheel locks up?
Engine stops running, therefore the power steering assist quits.
The steering does not lock up, it just gets harder to turn.
The car can still be steered, just takes a little more effort (muscles).
Old 09-23-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by antrmo
i dont understand y the steering wheel locks up? this is a feature that happens when the key is turn backwards and a pin in your steering colum locks,hmmm, wierd the engine light and oil light come on,does the other lights come on too? as if u were starting it? what i mean is is it the same light
s on the dash coming up like when u start it? oil light comes on when oil pressure drops below a certain psi, bad oil pump?plug pick up screen? maybe something in the pan floating and getting caught once and awhile?. loose ecu in pass kick panel? .sorry im thinking of so many scenerios...
Yea no exactly ! Lol I'm totally tripping as to why it locks it up like that , once I stop and turn the car off the steering is fine and when I try to start it up the oil , battery and check engine light come on. Which you're right they come on when I start my car but they stay on.
Old 09-23-2012

when I try to start it up the oil , battery and check engine light come on
They all come on when you turn the key on, right? They should stay on as long as the engine isn't running.

After the engine runs they should stay off. Except for the check engine light with the p1456 code.