Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

starter grinding

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marcus1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
starter grinding

i tried starting my car today and i get this metal to metal grinding noise and the car does not start...i also get a sweet buring smell...can anyone tell me whats the problem?...its a d15z4 with auto tranny...
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough
Re: starter grinding

Can you give us some more information?

Is this the first time the car hasn't started? Has it ever taken longer than usual to start?
Does the engine ever not turn when you turn the key? If you just get a single click when you turn the key, it could just be your started has failed. But usually they don't just stop working instantly, they gradually fail, requiring you to turn the ignition multiple times before the starter will actually engage. Atleast that has been my experience with a failing starter.

How did it run prior to today?

Sweet burning smell sounds like tranny fluid or coolant being burned. Check all your fluid levels, also check the hoses for leaks, you could have a tiny leak somewhere and could have tranny fluid or coolant dripping and burning on any hot surface in your engine bay.
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rekomstop209
Can you give us some more information?

Is this the first time the car hasn't started? Has it ever taken longer than usual to start?
Does the engine ever not turn when you turn the key? If you just get a single click when you turn the key, it could just be your started has failed. But usually they don't just stop working instantly, they gradually fail, requiring you to turn the ignition multiple times before the starter will actually engage. Atleast that has been my experience with a failing starter.

How did it run prior to today?

Sweet burning smell sounds like tranny fluid or coolant being burned. Check all your fluid levels, also check the hoses for leaks, you could have a tiny leak somewhere and could have tranny fluid or coolant dripping and burning on any hot surface in your engine bay.
normally the car starts with one tumble wit no problems...all fluid levels are normal and no coolant leaks.....the smell is more like an electrical burning.....only lastnite while driving and i cut off, i tried starting and it cranked slowly but it started normal.....only today i tried starting and i was hearing this grinding noise..am afraid to start it again because it may cause more damage.... i never had any starting problems ever before...
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

I'm confused. Is the car starting and then the grinding begins? Or is it grinding as the starter turns, but the engine never fires up?
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rekomstop209
I'm confused. Is the car starting and then the grinding begins? Or is it grinding as the starter turns, but the engine never fires up?

it grinds as i turn the starter and it does not fire up...
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Very strange.
I don't believe the problem is the starter tho because A) the starter wouldn't fail while you are driving and B) even if (A) were possible, it would not cause your car to just die.

I really wish I could help you more but I'm stumped.

Keep updating the thread with any new info that comes to mind; eventually someone with more knowledge then me will identify your problem, or provide with some troubleshooting steps.
Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Okay after talking to someone about your problem, I'm thinking it may be your starter after all. However, that is probably not the reason your car died, but it could be the reason it grinds and won't start.

It sounds like your solenoid is stuck and won't engage the flywheel and what you're hearing is the starter trying to turn the solenoid but instead its grinding against it.

A new starter will cost you around $180, but when you remove the old one, you can actually take it to wherever you bought the new one and they will reimburse you for the starter core because it can be used again to make a rebuilt starter. Usually reimbursement will be around $60-$70. However, removing the starter is an annoyance because I believe the only way to remove it is through the wheel well.
Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

its pretty easy to remove from the car...its a right had drive ek3.....i'll take it out an carry it to test........thanks for your advice....really appriciated
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

i got through wit my problem.................i opened up the starter myself and took a look and the brushes wanst even making contact with the rotor.......i bought new brushes and installed them...... car starts perfect now...