Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission: Resistance Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98_CivicDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission: Resistance Shifting

I have a 1998 Honda Civic with the five speed manual transmission. I've been driving a stick for about two years and only bought this car three months ago. It has 157000 miles on it, too.

It seems that there is some extra resistance when I shift sometimes. I haven't been able to replicate exact circumstances, but I know it does happen. It just doesn't feel smooth. There is no grinding or crunching, just a slight resistance. It's especially noticeable when I go from fourth to fifth. If it helps, the spring that returns to shifter to neutral seems to be weaker toward the driver and strong toward the passenger. So shifting to fifth or reverse would have slightly more force required.

Along with this slight resistance, Whenever the shifter is pushed toward the passenger, there is some strange... noise. I don't want to say grinding, because it's quiet, but almost like a vibration from a whizzing or something. It sounds metallic, but it's only noticeable if the radio is off, windows up, AC off, etc. So it makes this noise when I shift from fourth to fifth. It almost seems like the gears inside are coming too close to the edge of the transmission or something.

Another quick side note, the long shaft that goes from the side of the transmission to the shifter is loose. The bearing up near the transmission is completely shot and needs replaced. Could that be causing any of this? It's not the shift linkage piece, but some kind of shaft.

Thanks for any help.