Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My List Of Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrNapGeo is an unknown quantity at this point
My List Of Issues

My first post here... I have a 2000 Civic LX 1.6 and it has a list of problems that no one has been able to give me a straight answer for. The car has 122,xxx miles on it.

The List Goes As Follows
1- If I turn my car off, run a quick errand and start the car up again, the idle drops to under 700rpms and is a really rough idle.

2- When I hit the gas pedal, it makes this really weird sound. Like a tin can with rocks in it? (best way I can describe it..) It also has a really jerky kind of pull when I initially gas the car.

3- When I give a little more than usual throttle, I hear like another sound like metal rattling from the engine I'm guessing. (Not the same as that throttle sound mentioned above)

4- My transmission is slipping.

5- My maintenance light is on and has been for some time now. I have no idea why. I get oil changes every 3,000 miles, and my mechanic is always topping the car off with fluids when necessary.

6- At high speeds, my steering is nowhere near tight. (From like 70 and up its significant.)

7- My fuel gauge fluctuates. PISSES ME OFF. (At low fuel, car has a problem starting)

It would really help if anyone can give me solid answers for it. I numbered it so you can reply with the answers with the number next to the issue. Someone help me out!
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gordon555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My List Of Issues

1.) I would clean the IACV on the throttle body. This gets carbon build up and generallly causes a rough idle.
2) I would check your engine mounts to see if they are loose or your heat shield on the front of the engine. Or if its sounds like a tin can with rattles it could be catalytic converter. I believe if you tap on it you can sometimes hear bits falling off the honeycombs inside.
3.) Possibly heat shield or motor mount. But it does sound like a bad motor mount.
4.) Check what kind of fluid was put in it. I've heard these cars do not like anything but Honda transmission fluid so don't put anything else. Also if the correct fluid is in it and you know that it is good try a lucas oil transmission fix. I have heard good things with this product but it is inexpensive try and even if its doesn't work it's nothing to feel sorry about.
5.) I am guesing the maintenance reminder light. Have you tried to reset it?
1. Put key in
2. Hold down the trip button
3. Turn key to ON position
4. Continue to hold the trip button until maintenance light disappears. This should take 15 to 20 seconds.
6.) Jack up the car and try and wiggle the wheel side to side you might have loose ball joints. Or some worn suspension components. In anycase you can always get a wheel alignment or suspension inspection and those would very easily reveal some problems. You should take it to an alignment shop they have those expensive machines to align the car and can usualy tighten up the steering. Things we would have a hard time doing at home.
7.) I have the same problem on my 99civic EX for a harder start when I am low on fuel. The fluctuating gauge could be normal, they were never terrible accurate. But if its going from full to empty then you have a problem. Mine fluctuates within 1/4 of a tank ie empty to 1/4. For the hard start you might still be on the first problem with cleaning the throttle body/ Idle Air Control Valve.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=847&t ransactionid=1334482836-964916299&posted_by=gordon555_www.civicforums.com& youtube_video_id=G-mwd5VJKt8[/autostream]