Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Warm start problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
foundsheep is an unknown quantity at this point
Warm start problem

Got a 99 LX that is strugglin to start when the engine is warm/hot. For instance I drove 3 or 4 miles to Wal-mart going no faster than 45 with average speed of 30 and when I came back out it took me 3 attempts and some waiting to get to fire up.

Cold starts are a breeze.

I've seen that it could be a fuel related problem. Just wanted to see if anyone had some specific smarts on what it could be.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

blainoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Warm start problem

AWWWW im having this problem also but with my 94 civic. Iv got spark and fuel. and i have a code 9 on my engine light . which is NO. 1 cylinder. and my car start with a breeze cold also.
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

@ blainoyo: That sensor is in the distributor housing itself, the only way to change it is to change the housing.

@ foundsheep: Any codes?
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

teahou is an unknown quantity at this point

Back when I was working in shop, we coined a phrase "Jap car syndrome", (at least I think we came up with it, I ain't never heard it anywhere else). Anyway for some reason, when 4 cylinder engines get driven a short way, shut off, and start again, sometimes the engine actually floods (excess gas) which washes the oil off the cylinder walls, which causes no/low compression and a 'crank, wont start' situation.

Near as we could tell, this occurred because when a car is cold, it shoots in more gas to keep it running and when you start, stop, start - it is sometimes too much for 4 cylinder cars. The usual handling we recommended was a tune up, based on the idea that a fresh tune up would produce a better spark, and therefore have a better chance at not flooding.

Oh, and the technique we used to start a car we suspected of having this issue was to hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, because doing this tells the injectors to shut off, which you want, otherwise you just continue to flood it.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

@ lazlong, i replaced the distributor, rotor, and cap. and code 9 is gone. iv been researching on google and many ppl who have the same problem as me say its the EFI Main Relay. This makes sence because often when my car is hot and wont start, it sounds like it is almost catching but just wont start up, as if its not getting fuel.

@ teahou, i tried the pedal theory and it didnt work for me, i may have a diff problem
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You should hear the main relay click when you try to start the car, it's very audible. Look under the dash (may be behind the glovebox or kick panels) for the relay and test it.

To test:

1. Pull the relay

2. Apply battery voltage to terminal 85 and ground to terminal 86 (terminals 85 and 86 are interchangeable) . If it's not labeled look for the 2 smaller terminals. When you apply battery voltage and ground the relay should click. That's how you know it's good.

If it's bad, I've seen where people have taken them apart and soldered the connections back together.
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

around noon i went out to start my car, it is so hot in the car youd couldnt sit in it without sweating crazy, so i cranked it and it started right up. i took of the EFI main relay and all the solder points look fine but i resoldered every point. so i put the relay back, drive to the bank (10 mile drive) come out try to start my car and it doesnt start. i wait 3 min and retry, it barely starts. i drive to get gas (6 miles from bank) and try to start it again nothing, i crank the car 3 more times and nothing. wait 10 min, crank again for 2 seconds and them it barely starts up. this is driving me nuts.

NOTE: i checked and had fuel and spark at the gas station. and the fuel pump did turn on
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

ok i found the problem, its the IAC valve. so you were right about the idle. I think when it gets hot the electric motor on the IAC valve gets stuck or grounds out. The part is 266 bucks at my honda parts dealer so im going to try and clean it out with some brakes cleaner bc that is a hard hit to the wallet. found via google, http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1575913 Ill post again for and update
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

Is the main relay supposed to get hot when your car is on and your driving it?
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

It'll get warm because of the electricity flowing thru it but, not too hot to touch.
Old 07-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by teahou
Back when I was working in shop, we coined a phrase "Jap car syndrome", (at least I think we came up with it, I ain't never heard it anywhere else). Anyway for some reason, when 4 cylinder engines get driven a short way, shut off, and start again, sometimes the engine actually floods (excess gas) which washes the oil off the cylinder walls, which causes no/low compression and a 'crank, wont start' situation.

Near as we could tell, this occurred because when a car is cold, it shoots in more gas to keep it running and when you start, stop, start - it is sometimes too much for 4 cylinder cars. The usual handling we recommended was a tune up, based on the idea that a fresh tune up would produce a better spark, and therefore have a better chance at not flooding.

Oh, and the technique we used to start a car we suspected of having this issue was to hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, because doing this tells the injectors to shut off, which you want, otherwise you just continue to flood it.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
ok you were right. my car has had the same problem still, and iv replaced the main relay and the problem still happened, i read this forum again and tried the pedel to the ground and it started right up after 2 seconds of the pedel on the ground. So for anyone else id try this and if it doesnt work its probably the main relay. the soldering goes bad after getting hot.
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

creakid1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Warm start problem

Funny, when you said,
"@ lazlong, i replaced the distributor, rotor, and cap. and code 9 is gone. iv been researching on google and many ppl who have the same problem as me say its the EFI Main Relay. This makes sence because often when my car is hot and wont start, it sounds like it is almost catching but just wont start up, as if its not getting fuel."
I really think you were incorrect (assuming you have the same problems as mine). B/c when this happened, I kept smelling unburnt fuel!

Anyway, my '00 Civic DX hatch is parked out of town, & I will try this old-fashion "carburetor" method... I'm so surprised to know that "hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking" "tells the injectors to shut off"!

Thanks teahou!

Last edited by creakid1; 01-07-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add icon
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

turbomikeg88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have this warm/hot start issue with my 99 civic ex, and i've replaced the distributor, main relay, plugs, wires, IAC valve, crank sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery. I'm at the point in which I'm running out of ideas, any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turbomikeg88
I also have this warm/hot start issue with my 99 civic ex, and i've replaced the distributor, main relay, plugs, wires, IAC valve, crank sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery. I'm at the point in which I'm running out of ideas, any help will be appreciated.
Bad main relay.
Old 01-19-2020
Registered!!

Louie Gomez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blainoyo
ok i found the problem, its the IAC valve. so you were right about the idle. I think when it gets hot the electric motor on the IAC valve gets stuck or grounds out. The part is 266 bucks at my honda parts dealer so im going to try and clean it out with some brakes cleaner bc that is a hard hit to the wallet. found via google, http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1575913 Ill post again for and update
did the IAC do the trick? I am having the same issue on a 99 Civic.
Replaced main relay, ecu, distributer, fuel injectors, spark plugs, wires.
Old 03-01-2020
Registered!!

Tiffany is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old post but did you ever figure out the problem? I have also replaced the ect sensor with no luck.

Originally Posted by turbomikeg88
Old 03-01-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I know this is an old post but did you ever figure out the problem? I have also replaced the ect sensor with no luck.
Could be an a failing/weak ignition coil (icm)?
Main relay solder joints may be a possibility as well.
There's many threads related to this issue...use the search bar above/right and type in the issue to search .
Old 04-29-2023
Registered!!

Shavo Canez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by foundsheep
Got a 99 LX that is strugglin to start when the engine is warm/hot. For instance I drove 3 or 4 miles to Wal-mart going no faster than 45 with average speed of 30 and when I came back out it took me 3 attempts and some waiting to get to fire up.

Cold starts are a breeze.

I've seen that it could be a fuel related problem. Just wanted to see if anyone had some specific smarts on what it could be.

Thanks
​​​​​​I have same problem, i changed the inyectors and no more problems