I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

I want to add a audio input to my 04 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdc5490 is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to add a audio input to my 04 Civic EX

I want to add a audio input to my 04 Civic EX so that I can listen to music off of my laptop and iPod. I am on a budget so I'm looking to do all of this for as cheap as possible (preferably under $50 as you will later see) and I don't want a FM Transmitter of any kind (I've spent too much money on these things and none of them work all that well).

I really don't want to replace the factory stereo because I live outside D.C. in a bad area (where dark tints are illegal) and I don't want someone to break into my car to steal it (couple years ago, my brother came back from college and the first day home, someone stole his after market stereo). So if I have to buy a after market stereo, I would like it to look as plain as possible because I don't care how cool it looks, I just want the audio input and the time (not even the radio or a CD player).

I've been doing some research and I found this (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98aux.html) for under $50 (I was told that I could find a after market stereo for less) and I was thinking about doing this after I have time to check to see if my stereo has a open 14 pin connector on the back to hook it up. If it doesn't, then other option is to get a stereo without a radio or CD player since I don't use them but I don't even know if there are car stereos that are like that. If I have to replace the factory stereo, I was wondering what the dimensions are for the factory stereo or how big the new stereo can be and still fit without a problem.

Edit: I'm not good with wiring (I'm going to get a friend of mine to help me) so I was wondering what I need. So I'm thinking about something like this (http://www.provantage.com/dual-elect...0~7DUAL034.htm) since its in my price range and it has an audio input and USB. Once again I know nothing about wiring and dash kits or where to get them from so any help would be much appreciated.

Last but not least, I need to replace the light bulb that lights up the gear shifter's position (I have an automatic and I know how to do this, I just don't know where I can get the bulb). I went to Autozone, Advance Auto, and Carquest (all of my local car parts stores) and none of them carry such a part. Is it cheap to buy from Honda and do I just walk into the dealership and ask them or is it online somewhere? If no one knows, its not a big deal (I'm just use to looking down at the shifter when I'm changing gears and its hard to do that in the dark with no light there).

Last edited by jdc5490; 04-06-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 04-08-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I want to add a audio input to my 04 Civic EX

just get the cheapest head unit on Crutchfield that has and AUX input. then you can run the audio off your laptop into the head unit. who cares if it has a CD player. crutchfield will supply the mounting brackets, wiring adapter harness, and install instructions. easiest way to go.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

onlycodered is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed the HON98-AUX adapter in my '02 Civic EX. It works great! If you do not have a CD changer in your car, there will be an unused connector for the CD changer that you can plug the aux adapter into. You will want to get a noise-reducing audio cable as well so you don't get a lot of feedback. Here's the one I used: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Noise-.../dp/B001RNNWHC
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

jdc5490 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, well they carry that model for $50 and you're saying that they will send me the harness and dash kit for it too or would I have to buy those too? Cause I can get my hands on a Dual XR4110 for cheaper than that if I can find a dash kit for it (I know nothing about this type of thing but I have a friend who will help me with the wiring).
Old 04-08-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdc5490
Ok, well they carry that model for $50 and you're saying that they will send me the harness and dash kit for it too
yes.