I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Push Button Starter w/o S2000 button

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
DIY: Push Button Starter w/o S2000 button

The install of the S2000 button is straight forward and simple. Search for info on that if you have one.
If not you will want to get a normal switch and a nice relay. All parts needed are listed below.
Materials Needed:
  • Starter Switch from Honda S2000 OR any Momentary On pushbutton switch
  • If not S2000 button you need a SPDT 30A relay (or 40,50,60A, etc) (relay harness helps)
  • Drill
  • Drill bits to cut holes or dremel with sanding drum
  • Spare wires (some 10 or 12 gauge, and some like 16 or 18 gauge)
  • Soldering Iron and solder
  • Wire cutter/stripper
  • Heatshrink & lighter
  • 470 resistor for lighted switchs
  • Crimp on Female connectors ( link )
  • Electrical Tape

[edit]
Switch available here for $19.50
Relay available here for $2.95
Relay harness available here for $2.95
using the above Relay Harness, since the one terminal is not used, you can remove the middle (red) wire from the harness.
Total cost for materials assuming you have all tools: $35
[/edit]

Procedure:
Step 1: Design the circuit
Here are the schematics for a lighted switch and relay, and non-lighted switch and relay

Lighted Switch:

Non-Lighted Switch:

Step 2: Build circuit I
Label the wires on relay harness for ground, signal from switch, +12V, and Starter
Use the above diagram and the information below to see which wires are to what.
Relay Information

Step 3: Build circuit II
First thing to do is solder wire extensions onto the existing relay harness. Add about 2 feet if you have the spare wire, to ensure that there will be enough later.
For the wires from the switch and to ground (the wires for the coil) use the higher gauge wire (skinnier wire).
For the other 2 wires that will be used to power the starter use 10 or 12 gauge wire.
Heatshrink over all solders to make sure they are secure and safe from exposing metal.

Step 4: Mount switch
Wherever you decide to mount the switch, whether it be in a completly custom location in the dash, or a spare panel like I did, you must prepare the spot where you will install the switch.
Use a small drill bit at the center of where you would like the switch to make a small hole.
From there use the hole cutting bits to get a nice circle. Always cut a tiny bit smaller than the switch can fit it.
Sand the hole with the dremel and sanding drum until the switch fits in snugly without getting stuck.

Step 5: Prepare Car
Remove the screws underneath the steering wheel column. They are on the bottom of the plastic cover that is right behind the wheel. Once you have the screws out, the top and bottom cover pieces snap apart and will come off. Just give it a little muscle and it will come off easily.

Also remove the lower dash panel by turning the two ***** and pulling it off.
The last place you need to get to is wherever you are installing the switch. If you install it where I did, you should already have that panel out and the switch in place.

Step 6: Build circuit III
Lighted switch only: Solder the resistor in line with the wire going to the LED from the +12V source, or coming off the - side of the LED.
This is a cross-section diagram of how the resistor should be soldered into place.

Also you should heatshrink over the resistor in the wire. I also recommend taping this until the tape is very thick to prevent the resistor leads from breaking off.
Continue soldering and heatshrinking all the ends of the wires that connect to the switch. Now the switch is mounted into the little panel and is connected to the relay.

Step 7: Install I
Start by attaching all of the wires to the switch from the previous step. I recommend putting heatshrink on the wires just large enough to fit over the connectors, attaching the connectors to the switch, and heatshrinking over each connector. This way if the tabs get bent in the car, the switch will not short out and break or try to start the car on its own.
Install switch into place.

check connections.

Step 8: Install II
Remove ground wire from battery.
Once you have the switch in place, you will want to get power and ground to the switch. I used power and ground from existing wires taken off the cigarette lighter plug. You may use these wires, or you may want to ground to the metal near the switch and take power from the 'accessory' wire in the harness we will work with later.

After soldering and taping these 2 wires, attach ground cable back to the battery. Turn the car to 'on' and hit the switch. Make sure the switch activates the relay. If not check all connections.
Disconnect ground from battery once again.

Step 9: Install III
Now is the tricky part. You must attain +12V and Starter connections to the relay. To do this start by looking for the White wire, and the Black wire with a white stripe, behind the steering wheel. They will both be coming from a brown plug. The white wire and black/white wire are both thick wires.
Once you see which wires they are, you must remove the shielding from them in one spot. DO NOT CUT THE WIRES! Just take a knife and slowly remove the shielding until you have about 1/2" of the wire exposed. When both wires are ready, solder the corresponding wires from the realy (doesn't really matter which is which) to the white and white/black wires.

As you can see in the picture, I used a lot of extra wire which was cut off after the soldering was finished. Remember it's always better to have too much than not enough!
Make sure you solder them on extremly well, and make sure you tape them as much as possible! This is crucial. You will have about 30 or 40 amps running through these solder points and you DO NOT want this to come apart!

Step 10: Test
Re-attach the ground wire to the battery. Turn the key to 'on'. Push and hold the button till it starts.
If it is not cranking over, then you have some wires messed up. Check all connections and refer to diagrams above.

Step 11: Clean up
Re-attach all interior panels.
Vaccuum Interior.
Store all tools and items used/left over.
Enjoy!

As with all my DIYs, feel free to Private Message me ANY time to talk about this, ask for help, or just talk about nothing. I am on here at least every day so drop me a PM any time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram2.JPG
Views:	8804
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	65846   Click image for larger version

Name:	resistor.JPG
Views:	8627
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	65847   Click image for larger version

Name:	apart1.JPG
Views:	12585
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	65848   Click image for larger version

Name:	starter.JPG
Views:	20868
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	65849   Click image for larger version

Name:	swinstalled.JPG
Views:	11726
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	65850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.JPG
Views:	8815
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	65851  

Last edited by diskreet; 04-19-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Good job. I might attempt this now...+1
Old 04-18-2006
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
really clean job. what switch did you use? really like the color.
Old 04-18-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I got the switch from frozencpu.com

Ill add a link immediatly
Old 04-18-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
if i drive to PA and pay you, will you do it for me lol
Old 04-18-2006

probably not lol.
Honestly just get the parts and wire/solder it yourself. I am 100% serious this is easy as long as you pay attention to which wires are where!
If you need any help I am more than happy to help you do this, but As far as me doing this all over again, I would prefer not.

Ill post links in the first post to also show where I got the relay and harness
Old 04-18-2006
Registered!!

02cvcEX will become famous soon enough02cvcEX will become famous soon enough
does that blue ring stay on all the time? or just when you turn on your headlights
Old 04-18-2006

Once the key is turned to accessory I, II, or On it is lit.
Old 04-18-2006
Registered!!

02cvcEX will become famous soon enough02cvcEX will become famous soon enough
i see. nice button btw, very clean.
Old 04-19-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
thats sick man...i'll prolly do this later but use an s2k switch
Old 04-19-2006

Thanks. If you do it without the S2000 switch (want to save money and have something a little different) just PM me if you want/need help.
Old 04-19-2006
Registered!!

jay78 is on a distinguished road
thankx dude great job
Old 04-19-2006

welcome. You going to do it?
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

my be i will but i hve remote start tho
so i alrady hve sliced those two wires under the staring

and do u hve to hve key in the ign before u push start butt ???
or u can do the remote start trick ?

Last edited by jay78; 04-20-2006 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-20-2006

you NEED the key in the ignition the way I have it, but you can get around the system with relays and crap... far more work than I have the time to do right now, especially since I do not have a remote starter and I dont want to start the car without the key!

Search this site and the12volt.com forums for more info though. You will get answers!
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
that's pretty cool idea besides wasting alot of cash for the s2k button
Old 04-20-2006

thats exactly why i did it the way I did!
Old 04-20-2006
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
nic diy
Old 04-21-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by diskreet
you NEED the key in the ignition the way I have it, but you can get around the system with relays and crap... far more work than I have the time to do right now, especially since I do not have a remote starter and I dont want to start the car without the key!

Search this site and the12volt.com forums for more info though. You will get answers!
are car key has chip so i dont know putting more relays would work..
has any body else try this with remote starter.....putting key in the box ring around the ignition...see if it works ??? w/o having key in the ignition
Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
yes, I have done my own remote start using the DEI 555U transponder bypass, it works like a champ.

thats the other option to do this, by the way.

you cna purchase a cheap remote start for $60 or less. if its an addon, it will have a negative input used generally for alarms to activate the remote start.

to skip remote start and wire it to a pushbutton, you would merely wire the pushbutton to ground out the remote start activation, with a relay inline that fires with ACC, so you cant use the push button starter with out the key in the ignition.

you get a great deal more refinements in the system, too. albeit an order of magnitude greater cost!
Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

noooorb is an unknown quantity at this point
great post mate! real helpful
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Diskreet, did you hook it up so that the button will not work once the car is cranked?
Is there a way to do this or probably not huh? J/W
Old 05-11-2006

You could do it a few different ways. One way is with a latch so that the thing would only work once and when the car is off it resets.
You can probably do it with relays alone.
There are many ways, but They can get really complex and time consuming and even expensive, so I didn't do it.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

I was only concerned cause I have an ex so I have sunroof all that. So i'd have to put my button on the center cigarette lighter panel. So I didnt want people pushing while I was riding down the road, going whats this for?
Old 05-11-2006

HAHA I'm on my second starter already so that would NOT be good! I would kill anyone who would touch it. My first one just was bad so it was replaced under warranty no problems.
Anyway you can do it, if you really want to. I may look into redoing it safer, later, but not for a while (weeks).
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

One last question is that switch made to work with that much amp draw?
And if I figure out how to wire it up so that it doesnt work once the engine is running you want me to pm you?
Old 05-11-2006

Switch doesnt have more than 100mA running through it. The relay is sucking up 20-40 amps.
sure!
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifty is on a distinguished road
suscribed!
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
purchase an aftermarket remote start. they arent too expensive. when you get one designed to be an add-on to an alarm, its triggered by a voltage pulse, which you will provide via switch

after that, you simply add what interlocks you want between the starter and your switch. whether the door needs to be closed, the key in or not, etc etc etc.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Wow whiterabbit I didnt know you could do all that with the alarm. Thanks for the info bud man i've got alot to learn.

I found a little loophole to our probem though. I have a manual so I read something on here and I tried it when I left work. Since I have a five speed you have to push in the clutch to crank the car. So once the car was running I left it in neutral turned over the key and nothing happened. So unless they push the button right when I change gears I wont have any problems. So theres a little tiny bit of info for you guys.

Quick Reply: DIY: Push Button Starter w/o S2000 button