I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Honda Civic battery real life

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic battery real life

I was searching the forum but I can't found the answer.
My question is how long it last the cars original batery. I like to get some real data on it like in warm climate wersus could climate (like Canada).
I have 2001 LX (69000+ mi). The batery is the original one. It is working fine but I know that usualy a battery is good for 3 years in cold climate.
When did you changed the batery?
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Blackpearl
I was searching the forum but I can't found the answer.
My question is how long it last the cars original batery. I like to get some real data on it like in warm climate wersus could climate (like Canada).
I have 2001 LX (69000+ mi). The batery is the original one. It is working fine but I know that usualy a battery is good for 3 years in cold climate.
When did you changed the batery?
I asked the dealer the same question. They couldn't give an average life span. They said usually around 4 - 6 years, but they can go at any time, and sometimes last longer. My battery is 4 years old and I was going to replace it rather than deal with a dead battery some freezing morning when you have to be somewhere in an half hour. I asked Honda to replace it $99 with the coupon, but they said they would test it first. After leaving it all day, they tested it and said it was sufficiently charged. So I still have the original battery. The green light indicator is still showing, but I am thinking of going to Sears and getting a DieHard Gold, now that it is available for the Civic.

On the other hand, I might sell the car next year, and it would be nice to squeeze another year out of the battery, rather than put more money into it. It still turns over quickly on cold mornings.

Last edited by Roosbok; 11-26-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Just replace it when it goes
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Thaks for info.
I did test the battery at Autozone for free (load test), and they say that is week. But I don't have any problem with it.
I plan to bring the car in Europe and now is prity cold there in germany (have 40 cm = more than a feet of snow). Sending the car with ship (for one month), the car alarm, radio etc can descharge the battery.
What is the best type of battery: sealed or not? What you guys hav in your cars? How many of you changed alredy the battery?
Old 11-26-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i live in vancouver and i've had mine for 3 years...

i'm not gonna bother replacing mine until it goes dead or if i can tell it's getting weak...
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
I just replaced mine back in october. St. Louis varries from 100+ to -10. I also have a system pulling on it since i've had it (june 04) and it was giving me trouble after sitting for a few days so I got a Optima battery to help with the cold and the long sittings at school. Downside, the battery was $150.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
mine died on me after 3 years and a couple months...I had to have my vic push started and popped into gear.....so, just do like I did let it die, and then replace it......
Old 11-28-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
I don't think you can determine an average time on a battery. Some batteries last longer than others even though its the same battery. It depends on how you use your battery as well.

Just drive the car until you have to change it.
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
^^^ exactly. Batteries have "no average life span". some people have had a car for 10 years with the original battery, while others have had a battery replaced after a year, some sooner.

Now if you live in a colder climate, you are going to want a battery with more CCA (cold cranking amps).
Old 11-28-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
about 3 years for mine. It refused to hold a charge one morning.
Old 12-02-2005
Registered!!

yourpalmike is an unknown quantity at this point
i would change it after 4 max...

they arent expensive - better than getting stranded.