I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

removing door panel with window crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ringyu is an unknown quantity at this point
removing door panel with window crank

I've seen the DIY on removing the door panel for those with power windows.........but I happen to have manual roll-down windows (with the window crank). So, is there anything different I need to do to remove the door panel on my car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BTW, I have a 2001 civic hx coupe.
Old 04-23-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about
if u push in on the door panel right @ the crank and look behind it ull see a lil silver clip.(looks like a u clip with dimples. theres a tool for removing it but if ur carefull u can remove it with a screwdriver just push the open ends out, but watch out THEY TEND TO GO FLYING!!
than continue with the diy. when reintalling put it on the crank and then push the crank back on.
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

Ringyu is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks!!
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Usually the clip opens opposite of the window crank, so you're not fumbling around trying to pop it out and possibly scratching your door panel. You want to push the clip out on the open end, don't use a pick or screwdriver you'll lose the clip when it flings out into oblivion, just get a window crank tool, or ask an installer to borrow (throw him a couple bucks).

Last edited by WildRice; 04-24-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I bought a very expensive crank removing tool, its calleda "fishhook and pair of needlenose pliers"

one half of this extreemely pricey and excellent tool cna be bought at your local sportsman store, you probbaly have the other half lying around.

works like a champ, my door the clip wasfacing under the crank, so id have to maneuver between the shaft of the crank and the door, rather than the opposite side where id have more freedom of motion.
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

CelCUs is an unknown quantity at this point
I wrapped a flathead screwdriver in a towel and used the needle nose to pull the clip out. Another way is if you can see the clip . . . then just get the flathead and "push" it out. once you know what the clip looks like it makes sense. Another way is to get a skinny rag and slide it in there and just move it back and forth till the clip comes out, but this way is the most time consuming since it's all luck.

If you look by the handle there's a little rectangle, pop that off with some precision screwdrivers and there's 2 screws behind it. Then by the part that you grab in the middle of the door. . . where you grab to open the door (I don't know what it's called) That part you can pull off, and there's 2 screws behind it as well. And you may need to pull off this plastic piece up by your side mirrors, that just pops out when you pull it.