I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2011 Si Premium Sound, how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kbrebel04 is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 Si Premium Sound, how is it?

I will be driving to pick this car up tomorrow and have seen all 2011 Sis come standard with Premium Sound with a Sub included. I was wondering how good does this sound?
Old 05-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Si Premium Sound, how is it?

its okay on its own. much better than previous civics. compared to other cars factory audio system, its pretty basic and not great sounding.
Old 05-23-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

The system isn't that bad for stock imo, it's a TON better than the non-Si audio system.
Old 05-23-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iSharix
The system isn't that bad for stock imo, it's a TON better than the non-Si audio system.
I would imagine it would quite awesome, I have the base system in my FA1 and it is fine for me, even without tweeters and subwoofer.
Old 05-23-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Lol, stock FA1 audio is crap.
I had the bass at max and volume up with House music going, it was all fuzzy and just ...nasty sounding, LOL
Old 05-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the sub alone would improve sound a lot.
Old 05-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line:
Any "premium" audio that rolls off the floor of a mass manufactured car will not be up to par with aftermarket sound
(That includes the bose "premium" sound of higher end cars as well)

Do they sound better than the crappy stock audio? A little, but the best audio will be the one you install yourself
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 07 with premium sound, im pretty sure it hasn't changed or at least not much. Yes if you turn up the base all the way and crank the volume it will distort, then again so will pretty much anything (aftermarket included). Its good enough that its not worth the extra hassle and expense to upgrade it (at least to me). Is it super loud? No, but it does play fairly clear and reproduces a wide range of frequencies well.

I would turn the base down 2, leave the treble alone, and turn the subwoofer up a little. This seems to be good for me, if your still getting low freq distortion turn the bass down a little more and compensate with the sub, the sub can handle more than you think it can.
Old 05-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

idk, ive heard some pretty awesome factory systems.
Old 07-03-2011
Registered!!

phil6006 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 08 SI and I like to have great audio when i drive. I was impressed by the stock system. the sub is a little lacking, but what do you want for an open air sub? It is definitely more than tolerable until you feel like making it better. Better than most other stock systems in the same price range.
Old 07-03-2011
Registered!!

Budahhead is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 06 FD2 and I think the sound is great. I have the sub maxed and the treble maxed. I have the bass in the door speakers and tweaters at zero and it sounds awesome. I was blasting Boyz in the hood for Eazy E in my car and the sub was phenominal and the highs were great too. It's by far the best factory sound system you could get for the price.
Old 07-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budahhead
I have an 06 FD2 and I think the sound is great. I have the sub maxed and the treble maxed. I have the bass in the door speakers and tweaters at zero and it sounds awesome. I was blasting Boyz in the hood for Eazy E in my car and the sub was phenominal and the highs were great too. It's by far the best factory sound system you could get for the price.
Just to clarify, you have a FG2
You cant get a FD2 in North America (unless converted)
The FD2 is a 4 dr sedan Type R

Sorry, Just wanted to point that out
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

MXRACER61709 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stumbled across this site looking for disassembly tips on my wifes 2010 civic in preperation to ditch the stock premium ex sound system. I know its an old thread, but maybe this will help someone. FWIW, if I had payed attention a little more, we would have never sprung for the premium sound system, as I could have put something better together for less money. I will never buy another premium sound system again, no matter the brand.

A car audio dedicated forum recently tested a stock honda civic door speaker, and found that its one way xmax was limited to 1.5mm with a Klippel distortion tested. Basically, at 1.5mm, the speaker has reached 10% distortion. Furthermore, at listening levels high enough to overcome the road noise of a stock car, the speakers can reach up to 100% total harmonic distortion. This means that the distortion from the speaker is at least as loud as the fundamental frequency the speaker is trying to play. This also means that the door speakers can in no way play bass frequencies at any decent volume.

Now, this doesnt mean throwing other speakers in is automatically better. The Massive Audio shallow mount speakers were also tested, and actually tested worse than the stock civic speakers. So upgrade carefully.