I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

electrical power shuts down - why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gpiatt is an unknown quantity at this point
electrical power shuts down - why?

I own a 1999 Civic 4dr sedan. Lately I'll be driving along and the power just goes. The speedometer drops to zero and the thermostat drops. The radio stops - it's like all the power is gone. Then, a second later the power seems to be back on but the engine is not running. If I'mk driving fast I just turn the ignition and it restarts. If I'm going slow, I pull over, put the car in park and then restart the engine.

What could be causing the electrical system to shut down like this?
Old 04-12-2011
civicfixer

foslhntr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: electrical power shuts down - why?

Check the positive battery cable. It is possible the terminal is loose on the battery post. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad cables, bad terminal connection, bad grounds, bad fuse, bad battery, bad alternator

Take your pick and go at it
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

HUEVITO is an unknown quantity at this point

messing around with the radio, installing a Bluetooth handsfree, Once done I noticed that the radio had no display, and the rest o the car was acting funny. I disconnect battery to "reset" any stupid message I might have triggered. hook everything back without the bluetooth just like if nothing was done to it... put battery back up and nothing. on the way home I noticed I left the moonroof tipped open, can't close it... once I parked my locks were not working the way I had set on memory. my key was not working the alarm, or the truck.. just like if it was not paired.

there's a fuse under the hood. I think is number 13, on my SI 09... anyways it's called BACK UP. is a 10amp. if this has happened to you and you went to the dealer, don't be afraid again. just unplug this thing, then disconnect the battery. once done with your accessories work, hook battery- then put this one back on. This is connected to your stored settings. of course you still need your radio code and set your clock, but this thing has the settings for how the car behaves once the car has stopped, how the locks behave, your lights dimmed if you did, the use if your power. lock without key inserted, the pairing of your key/alarm, and many things that you don't know the car has until this one fuse burns out.

I refused to believe that I had to visit the dealer just for diaconecting the battery. and I believe this fuse blew once I started messing around with the radio harness.
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thread from the dead.