Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Civic Owner - Noises when shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meeerkat is an unknown quantity at this point
New Civic Owner - Noises when shifting?

Hello everyone

Just last week I bought my first Honda. I got a 2007 Civic EX from a Honda Dealership. 130k. One owner, service history.

I have been driving it and haven't noticed anything until the last few days. It seems there is some clunking and other noises sometimes when I am shifting from Park to reverse, reverse to drive, drive to reverse. Sometimes its a clunk, bang, grind... I've even heard a noise that sounds like something metal was dropped. It is most notable when I first start it in the morning or if it hasn't been started for a while, however there was some noise even when it had been driven then parked, then driven again (span of 5 minutes). As of now, noise wasn't as loud before but you can hear noises when you shift. It's a automatic transmission by the way.

No vibrations of any sort and haven't noticed any noises while driving, engine is quiet. I am bringing it to the dealership as I believe its covered under my 30 days drive train warranty so hoping they can check it out. Although I am expecting the 'I didn't hear anything its fine' story so was hoping to hear some opinions here.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Civic Owner - Noises when shifting?

Is your car on level ground when you are shifting it in and out of park, drive, reverse? If you put 1 foot on the gas and the other one the brake in drive or reverse do you hear this sound. It could be a motor mount you could check the rubber sections of these with a bright light to see if there are any cracks in the rubber.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
Is your car on level ground when you are shifting it in and out of park, drive, reverse? If you put 1 foot on the gas and the other one the brake in drive or reverse do you hear this sound. It could be a motor mount you could check the rubber sections of these with a bright light to see if there are any cracks in the rubber.
Yes level ground

I will do both of these when I go drive it next.

It kind of sounds like if you had snow stuck up near your tire and when you turn you hear that grindy/bump kind of noise, if you know what I mean. My old car barely made a beep when shifting so thats why I am concerned.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

When you now mention turning makes me think of front end suspension issues. In an open parking lot try making some S turns and slow circles L & R to see if you can isolate when and where the sound is coming from.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

forget about diagnosing the problem yourself, thats not your job, its theirs, just bring it back

im sure you have some kind of warranty, like 30 days as you said,

make sure its fixed before your 30 days are up, dont let them put it off and stall till after the 30 days
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Sounds like a worn CV joint to me.
As someone else stated, could be a motor mount(specifically the big one on the passenger side of the car).
Could be a combination of the two.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
When you now mention turning makes me think of front end suspension issues. In an open parking lot try making some S turns and slow circles L & R to see if you can isolate when and where the sound is coming from.
Hey

No noise when turning

Tried the reverse and neutral foot on both pads, no noise other then rev lol

Fiddled around a bit, only hearing a clunking noise when I'm shifting from Park to reverse. Sometimes its louder then other times, sometimes its not audible. Are you supposed to hear any noises at all when shifting?

Took a peak under the hood but could not find the transmission fluid compartment or the belt. Bit of a noob there.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
forget about diagnosing the problem yourself, thats not your job, its theirs, just bring it back

im sure you have some kind of warranty, like 30 days as you said,

make sure its fixed before your 30 days are up, dont let them put it off and stall till after the 30 days
Thanks man, I definitely won't let them do that, I can be pretty pushy when need be.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jordan1794
Sounds like a worn CV joint to me.
As someone else stated, could be a motor mount(specifically the big one on the passenger side of the car).
Could be a combination of the two.
Hey thanks for the reply

I'm hearing it more towards my side/middle area.
Old 03-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It kind of sounds like if you had snow stuck up near your tire and when you turn you hear that grindy/bump kind of noise
Some noises are normal on Hondas, some are not. Best to compare to an identical car that has no complaints.

If you are not completely stopped when you change directions, the trans can make some awful noises.

My 12 will grind if I'm still rolling one direction when I move the shift lever to the opposite direction.

Mine will crunch loud if I'm on ice and don't have my foot firmly on the brake when I slap it into any gear.
Old 03-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

My wife's 2006 makes a quite audible clunk whenever I shift into reverse, and makes the same clunk if I shift into drive while on even a small incline. It has 120,000 miles but it has been making the same sound ever since when it was my car starting at 30,000 miles.