Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Honda Civic Manual: 1st Gear rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glude35 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Honda Civic Manual: 1st Gear rattle noise

Hello,

I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX, manual which seems to be giving me trouble whenever I attempt to engage the 1st gear.

This problem doesn't happen all the time, but the issue seems to be coming directly under the hood, slightly closer to the cabin. it is a rough rattling noise, that feels like either the clutch is slipping or the engine is rattling whenever I engage 1st gear. The rattling noise goes away immediately after I step back into the clutch. The best way to describe the feeling is as if the car was on the verge of stalling.

This issue does not happen in other gears, very rarely for 2nd.

I don't know if its the clutch wearing out, or a broken engine mount. The rattling noise occurs only when shifting into 1st gear and attempting to release the clutch. Doesn't appear at idle or highway speeds. Some engine intermittent rattling occurs at speeds above 120 km/hr.

I'm starting to think its either the clutch slipping or a broke engine mount.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by glude35; 02-17-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: 2007 Honda Civic Manual: 1st Gear rattle noise

Idk if the manuals use the same mount as the autos, but I know the big mount on the passenger side tends to go bad quicker than the other side.
Old 02-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes on the mount, it goes bad and can vibrate a LOT.
Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chris_787 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old post but ill add my two sense anyways for anyone who continues to have this problem.
I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX as well and had very similar problems. I ended up have a loud growl when going into reverse and downshifting as well as this "clutch" slippage out of first. The rumbling ended up being my lower control arm engine mount, not the passenger side one.
For the clutch slippage, it was very easy to fix. Honda decided to adjust my clutch pedal without being asked and misaligned it ver badly. All you have to do is adjust the clutch pedal, technically the master cylinder but move it up slightly and everything will work great again. Very simple fix, just google how to do it took me 5 minutes.

Cheers