Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

stereo problem help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noobie is an unknown quantity at this point
stereo problem help

i have an 04 civic ex only had it a couple weeks but i cant figure out whats wrong with my radio. it was doing the code thing so i took it to the dealership and got the code. after i got it on i find the volume not working so i replaced it with a new jvc stereo. still no volume,all the wires are connected everything is on just no volume. is there a factory amp that could be bad? im stumped any advice would be great thanks.
Old 04-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: stereo problem help

No speaker amp from the factory.
EX should have 6 speakers.

Get a wire diagram for the factory stereo so you know what the proper wire colors should be.
Ohm test each the speaker circuits from the connector at the radio.

A shorted speaker or speaker wiring shorted to ground can kill all volume.
Look for broken off speaker connectors in the trunk on the bottom of the speakers.

Look for evidence that the previous owner had stereo equipment too. Some people just throw the parts back in the dash to sell the car.
(It might not even have any speakers at all. Yeah, I have seen that before. Seen wires all cut for aftermarket amps too.)

2 fuses for the radio:
Fuse 8 in the dash, and fuse 9 in the engine compartment.

HTH
Old 04-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noobie is an unknown quantity at this point

alright so i finally figured it out. thanks ezone for the help, i checked everything you said it was all fine. so i took it a stereo shop and after about hour he came out to tell me he could not help.i decided to unplug every speaker and try each plug one at a time this was it every speaker in my car was bad lol never run into this problem before im just glad to have it done.
Old 04-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noobie
every speaker in my car was bad
Saw it one time in a Miata.
You know how someone that is real drunk always wants the radio at full blast, right? (I LOVE THIS SONG!!!1!)
That's apparently what happened. I'm just guessing here, since this was all stock.
Both speakers (yes, all two of them) blown and voice coils ohmed as dead shorts.
It may have damaged the radio too, but I can't remember that for certain.

Your cars previous owner could have had amps that blew your speakers, that is what typically wipes ALL of them out at once. Overpower them, and the coils either melt down from the heat or fizzle out and go open circuit.