6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WilliamsCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some help...

I just bought my first honda civic 97 none-vtec, and just finished dropping in a D16y5 vtec in. Almost done getting everything situated and I don't see a connection for the vtec on my harness, let alone I'm not too sure if the computer will read the vtec, I've heard they sell plug in converters so the vtec runs without having to get a new computer and harness. I need my car to run at peak so I can get back to work, my time is limited, as are my funding. Some help please would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need some help...

Plug in everything you can, then see how it runs.

The original computer can't do VTEC and it won't care if the engine has VTEC or not.
The original wire harness was not for VTEC engine so no connectors for any of it.
Old 04-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WilliamsCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

That's I appreciate the help. However, I'm just gonna grab the ecu and harness. I'm treating this like my baby, and it's my first civic, and I want it to run correctly without taking chances. I found vafc modules that would function however, being a single parent, my family relies on me so I have to rely on my car.
Old 04-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I figured you could just make it run and drive again first, then when you have time and cash you could go back in and get the rest of the stuff to make VTEC work (ecm and harness)

IDK about the particulars on that setup, there may be some stuff that needs moved around like O2 sensor hookups depending on which exhaust/cat you are using.

"Measure twice, cut once."