6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Noise then smoke after second timing belt change (see/hear video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WaryDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise then smoke after second timing belt change (see/hear video)

I changed my 98 Civic's D16Y7 timing belt for the second time. After the first time there was a horrible noise and burn smell. The same noise and burn smell is happening with a brand new belt that is a different brand. The belt tension was more taunt than last time after getting a new tensioner and spring then doing the correct procedures to tension the belt. After changing for the second time, the noise, burn smell, and SMOKE came after running for 1 minute. For some reason the phone video does not show the smoke ALTHOUGH THERE WAS SMOKING FOR 5 MINUTES AFTER UNCRANKING coming from where the area I point to in the video, around where the valve cover's bottom right corner and from below or level to the PS pump. The smoke could have been coming from further below, but this is the only place the smoke was exiting- out from that hole between that valve cover edge is and the PS pump that I point to in the video. I tried tracking the smoke to where it was coming from but my light wasnt good enough and then it started to die down.

I do not know what is causing the noise, burn smell, and smoking. One thing I did was loosening all the V belts (PS, A/C compressor, alternator) to below tension. I had them all tensioned to spec but now they are barely taunt enough to not slip. That did not fix. Also removed valve cover and scanned it closely for a loose tool or whatever. Nothing was found loose in there. Timing of the cam shaft matches the crank shaft. Timing was checked more than anything in several ways throughout the whole process. Timing has never been lost. Only thing I haven't done like the procedures say is adjust valves after changing timing belt. Did not adjust valves. The shift lever was vibrating really bad immediately when and after I cranked, matching with the noise.

Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WaryDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noise then smoke after second timing belt change (see/hear video)

Quick facts:

Name:  Ii0WXlb.png
Views: 553
Size:  1.68 MB

I didn't replace that plastic washer behind the crank gear. I didn't remove or even move the crank gear to ensure keeping the same timing as the old belt even though that was unnecessary it was one of the many things i did to make sure i didnt screw up the timing of this car.

When I cranked the car it was an awful repeating racket as you can hear. A very foreign, loud noise and vibration I could really feel when I happened to have my hand on the shift level in Neutral all the time of course.

I did not replace the water pump and of course not the oil pump.

No check engine light comes on inside the cluster.

SHould I crank this car and listen with a stethescope or what should I do to troubleshoot? Someone suggested it might be a water pump bearing but how can I determine if that is the cause? Smoke was coming from the front, running along the engine surface not the water pump area off to the side and back of the engine.

Last edited by WaryDriver; 08-22-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added diagram of where smoke is coming from
Old 08-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noise then smoke after second timing belt change (see/hear video)

Remove the 3 (I assume 3) accessory belts one by one and run it after removing each belt, see if the noise is still present after each belt is individually removed.

The usual noise culprit is a bad bearing in the adjuster pulley for the compressor belt, and a close second place would be the compressor pulley with a bad bearing..
IF you took that adjuster pulley all the way off it may have been misassembled, rubbing steel on steel.

When you lift the valve cover to remove the top timing cover, there is usually some oil that gets out and may find its way to the exhaust manifold, that will smoke when it gets heated up.