6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Pretty sure I spun a bearing, but what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ineedanswers is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty sure I spun a bearing, but what do you think?

I tried that nothing changed, the combustion load should have made a difference in the rod bearing tolerance so you think. It acts just like a rod knock to, only when it warms up, opposite of valve lash which has been adjusted accordingly before. Weird, any more input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ineedanswers; 09-04-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pretty sure I spun a bearing, but what do you think?

Holy sheet that sounded like machine gun fire!

Rev the throttle slightly to where it's rattling loud and hold the throttle at that position. (2 person operation)

Now pull one plug wire at a time to kill a cylinder (or unplug one injector at a time, same effect) until you find one cylinder that makes the biggest difference in the noise.

Assuming at least one made a huge difference, then you pull the oil pan and check if that rod is loose on the crank, then check the bearing. Then call the salvage yard and get prices on another engine cuz that's usually cheaper than rebuilding .
Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

I tried that nothing changed, the combustion load should have made a difference in the rod bearing tolerance so you think. It acts just like a rod knock to, only when it warms up, opposite of valve lash which has been adjusted accordingly before. Weird, any more input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the bottom half of a rod bearing is gone (or rolled up into the top half), the piston can contact the surface of the cylinder head.
That makes one hell of a loud knock.

Louder than most simple loose rod bearing knocks.....And it may or may not be affected by combustion if that's the case.

Stethoscope at the head gasket line would probably reveal this as the loudest point.
Old 09-11-2014
Registered!!

The posting order on this forum is screwed, I was wondering why I didn't see my posts. Didn't know it went up instead of down.
Old 09-11-2014
Registered!!

WTF could it be I checked the valve lash, 3 times to make sure. Right on the money, dropped the pan to check out the bearing they're find, checked the LMA's those are good, timing belt is fine, no exhaust leaks, I'm getting pissed at this thing. I tried the sithoscope and it seems to be louder by the manifold/injectors otherwise it's faint, possible cracked manifold? Idk.
Old 09-11-2014

Originally Posted by ineedanswers
The posting order on this forum is screwed, I was wondering why I didn't see my posts. Didn't know it went up instead of down.
Change this in your preferences:

User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Mode > Linear: Oldest first

Originally Posted by ineedanswers
WTF could it be I checked the valve lash, 3 times to make sure. Right on the money,

, checked the LMA's those are good, timing belt is fine, no exhaust leaks, I'm getting pissed at this thing.
Where'd the video go? Was gonna listen again but it's gone.

I tried the sithoscope and it seems to be louder by the manifold/injectors otherwise it's faint,
It's faint? As loud as it seemed to be in the video, that didn't seem faint to me.

But then.... Videos can be deceiving. Microphone placement can both cover up and exaggerate noises.

Injectors always tick while the engine is running. They don't get any louder..... but the ticking speeds up with RPM.
possible cracked manifold? Idk.
Exhaust manifold cracks (small) are usually most apparent while cold, and decrease as the manifold heats up. Noisy during acceleration and load, quieter during deceleration.
Plus they stink like raw exhaust.

Listen through a tube or hose for this type of problem. Vacuum hose works good for listening through.
dropped the pan to check out the bearing they're find
Did you actually pull the rod caps off to inspect the bearings, or did you just wiggle them?

Cut open the filter, see if any metal is caught in the element?
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Change this in your preferences:

User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Mode > Linear: Oldest first

Where'd the video go? Was gonna listen again but it's gone.

It's faint? As loud as it seemed to be in the video, that didn't seem faint to me.

But then.... Videos can be deceiving. Microphone placement can both cover up and exaggerate noises.

Injectors always tick while the engine is running. They don't get any louder..... but the ticking speeds up with RPM.

Exhaust manifold cracks (small) are usually most apparent while cold, and decrease as the manifold heats up. Noisy during acceleration and load, quieter during deceleration.
Plus they stink like raw exhaust.

Listen through a tube or hose for this type of problem. Vacuum hose works good for listening through.
Did you actually pull the rod caps off to inspect the bearings, or did you just wiggle them?

Cut open the filter, see if any metal is caught in the element?
[YOUTUBE]8TzPelRndK4[/YOUTUBE]
It's nosier with a load or accelerating, none on acceleration. I pulled plug wires on all four cylinders and still makes the noise.
Old 09-27-2014

Still sounds horrible
Have you removed all the accessory belts and run it?

Manual trans, or automatic? No torque converter bolts backed out and hitting the block?

I pulled plug wires on all four cylinders and still makes the noise.
I'm sure the noise won't go away when you cancel cylinders.

You would be looking for any change in the noise, however minimal.

Mostly to isolate the noise to a single cylinder so you know where to concentrate when you do go inside the engine.