6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

How hard is it to replace fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rujoesmith is an unknown quantity at this point
How hard is it to replace fuel lines?

I have a 98 civic ex, the brake lines to the back are shot and I am replacing them. However, the brake/fuel lines look like a giant heap of rust and corrosion under the car and I'm guessing ill end up needing to replace the fuel lines too.

Can anyone give me some tips or manual pages for replacing the fuel lines? I searched around but couldn't turn up anything of use to an amateur like me.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is it to replace fuel lines?

If you bought a set of replacement lines from a dealer, the box would be almost as big as your car LOL....and you'd probably need the car 6 feet in the air to get the lines stuffed up into the engine compartment from underneath the car.

My preference is to fabricate.
Pick up a roll of correct size brake tubing and necessary fittings for the brake lines, and rent/borrow a tubing bender and a cutting/flaring set, and have at it.
Parts stores also sell premade straight brake lines in various lengths, you just bend to fit and buy enough to reach your destination.

Do NOT get cheap flare unions from AutoZone! The ones I tried did not have deep enough threads to make a safe connection.

I'm in the rust belt, I learned this work during my first year in the business. And on my first car. My last car (Buick) got all new rear lines a couple years before I got rid of it. I replace lines on our snowplows at work---seems like almost every year at least one of them blows out a line.

Not sure what you can do with the fuel lines-- I haven't actually had to fab steel fuel lines on a Honda yet but seen plenty that needed it.
I think it wouldn't be too tough, fabricating fuel would be just about like making brake lines but IDK what it would take to connect to the tank line.

I've seen people patch the fuel lines with high pressure EFI hose, not sure that I like that idea myself.

Tips? None, really. MAYBE service manual pages would tell you how to replace a premade set of lines, but none tell how to fabricate.
Well ok, here's a tip.....
Tip: Learn the TECHNIQUES necessary to fabricate. Learn how to flare for the fittings and build a brake line. Learn how to bend brake lines and steel tubing properly. You cannot kink a brake or fuel line and expect it to work.

Making them fit the car is .....rip out the old, make the new ones fit and look just like the old ones. Remove whatever has to be removed to get it done. Connect one end, bend to fit as you move along the body.
Secure everything to the body as before--Don't leave anything hanging down under the car or it can get ripped off and kill you when the brakes are gone.

Either way, replacing brake and fuel lines can be a huge undertaking.
Know any mechanics? Friendly with any independent shops? Sure seems like making brake lines would be something done very frequently in your area.