6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

205X45 17 tires rub and wore off tread on the edge

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbander is an unknown quantity at this point
205X45 17 tires rub and wore off tread on the edge

I thought they were a acceptable size, I bought it with these tires on it and they have 30,000 on them but I have heard a rub noise.. If they're not then are the 205X40 17 going to make it
Old 11-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 205X45 17 tires rub and wore off tread on the edge

Your car is?
The tires rub where? On what?
Tires worn where?
Tires not rotated religiously every 5000 miles?

Noise may not be rubbing......
Why would tires just now begin to rub if they have been ok for the last 30k?

They wear the inside edges naturally due to negative camber built in to the suspension. Lowering and all that makes it more pronounced.

If you don't rotate regularly, the front tires get eaten up at at least triple the rate of the back ones......while the back tires tend to develop choppy uneven loud wear on the edges.
Old 11-02-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Your car is?
The tires rub where? On what?
Tires worn where?
Tires not rotated religiously every 5000 miles?

Noise may not be rubbing......
Why would tires just now begin to rub if they have been ok for the last 30k?

They wear the inside edges naturally due to negative camber built in to the suspension. Lowering and all that makes it more pronounced.

If you don't rotate regularly, the front tires get eaten up at at least triple the rate of the back ones......while the back tires tend to develop choppy uneven loud wear on the edges.
These are 205x45 17, The Tire started loosing air so i swapped another tire to replace it and found it worn right to the belts just on the inside edge about 1 inch, of the tire ,the rub mark is in the back inside of the wheel well, The sound I heard was rub noise. The car is a 2000 Civic EX. I have seen places where 205x45 17 are acceptable and others the 205x40 17 is the one that will fit
Old 11-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen places where 205x45 17 are acceptable and others the 205x40 17 is the one that will fit
The offset of the wheel makes all the difference in the world.

If it's rubbing the wheelwells on the inboard edge of the tires, maybe you need a different offset (or maybe some spacers) to move the tires outward.

Or if it's only doing it on one side, maybe something in the suspension is bent.

Negative camber and negative toe can eat the hell out of the inside edges of the tires.
What's your alignment numbers say?
Old 11-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The offset of the wheel makes all the difference in the world.

If it's rubbing the wheelwells on the inboard edge of the tires, maybe you need a different offset (or maybe some spacers) to move the tires outward.

Or if it's only doing it on one side, maybe something in the suspension is bent.

Negative camber and negative toe can eat the hell out of the inside edges of the tires.
What's your alignment numbers say?
I was hoping someone could respond about whether the 205x40 17 would fit. They say they will but I have also seen where they say the 205x45 17 would fit. My case they don't
Old 11-03-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

agreed on alignment and check under car.

read about off-set of the wheels. they will change where the tire is placed relative to the other parts of the car. tire size alone does not tell what will fit. wheel size matters a lot.
Old 11-04-2014
Registered!!

Dude_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2000DX used and it came with 205/40/17's. It rubbed only occasionally with speced alignment and stock suspension in good shape. When they wore, I got 45's, they rubbed so bad I stuck spacers in my coils all the way around and it helped. After they wore, I went back to the 40's while leaving the spacers in and they never rubbed.
Old 11-04-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dude_
I bought a 2000DX used and it came with 205/40/17's. It rubbed only occasionally with speced alignment and stock suspension in good shape. When they wore, I got 45's, they rubbed so bad I stuck spacers in my coils all the way around and it helped. After they wore, I went back to the 40's while leaving the spacers in and they never rubbed.
From what I've see the 40's are the answer and will be my next size to replace the scrapped 45's. They have winter tires on now , so I won't have to think of it for a while.