6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

EM1 Coupe Project Car Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014
Young One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xxnick2dmaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
EM1 Coupe Project Car Suggestions

Hello all, new to the forums for the most part. I currently drive a stock 96 Accord EX which is a nice car and all, but it's a little bit weak as far as power and being a "fun" car to drive. I've been thinking about eventually buying an EM1 Civic Coupe, probably a 96 as well, and then doing an engine swap in it for starters, and eventually maybe modding the car to get more hp out of it. I was talking to my older brother who had a 92 Civic hatch about 10 years ago, which he swapped a B16A2 into and he said it's the best engine to swap into any kind of civic pretty much. However, I was looking around various forums and websites and some people say that the B18C5 is a better swap. I know the B18 technically has more displacement than the B16, but is it worth paying quite a bit more money for than the B16? My older brother suggested that I find a stock Civic Coupe and drop a B16A2 into it and then turbo it later on, and said that it'd be fairly easy to get 250whp out of it, which would be fine for starts, I'd only push 290-300 MAX more than likely, I'm aware of how light the car is, I've driven a 2009 Accord V6 that puts out around 270whp and that car is already quick. Could a stock B16A2 safely put out 250whp with a turbo? Even 290-300? I might sound ridiculous, I'm just getting into the whole modded Honda scene, I originally was going to swap an H22 into my Accord but the car is an automatic for starters and I want to pick up a car with a stick anyways, and not to mention that Civics have much more aftermarket support in the first place than Accords. Thanks for any suggestions, advice, and anyone willing to steer me in a general direction. I don't plan on lowering the car too much, and probably won't camber the wheels. I don't want the car too look extra ricer, lol. I want it to be a clean, fairly stock Civic with a good amount of power under the hood, and it's a project and I'd have no problem if it took a lot of time to get done. Thanks guys!
Old 07-28-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: EM1 Coupe Project Car Suggestions

The B series engine is one of the best engines that Honda made. It easy to mod and can handle a lot of power for its size.

The new hot engine is the K series. Check out k swap on google and see if that might be a route that you want to go.
Old 07-28-2014
Young One

K series swaps are much more expensive and difficult though, am I wrong?
Old 07-28-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Depends what k20 you get. You can get a standard one for around $700. A Type-S (k20a2) can be up around $2000-$4000. B-Series can get expensive also, depending on which block/head combo you go with.

Not sure if one is easier then the other. Lots of info online though, 6th gen civics are very popular.
Old 07-28-2014
Young One

I was looking into a B16A2 most likely if I went B series.