6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

HELP - keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012
Custom User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torenxw is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP - keyless entry

Hi, I've been informed that my '98 Civic Ex comes stock with a keyless entry. I don't have the remote for it, but my dad has a remote from his '01 Accord. Will this remote work for my car? I have an aftermarket stereo, so the valet programming won't work. I've also tried the ignition programming, which also failed. Am I doing something wrong or do I need a different remote?
Old 03-20-2012
Custom User Title

Re: HELP - keyless entry

Want to add: the guy who sold me the car left a Prestige brand keyless entry remote in the glove compartment. It doesn't work either. I don't know much about how these systems work, but I'm guessing he replaced the stock system? If so, how do I program this other remote?
Old 03-21-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

The accord remote won't work. My guess is you'll need to get a stock remote from Honda which they will program for you. Pop open your hood and look around for a black, plastic horn. It literally looks like a bullhorn. My installer put my prestige horn near the firewall next to the intake manifold. It's fairly large so you should be able to see it as soon as you open the hood. If you don't see it then you probably have a stock keyless entry system, the previous owner might've just left that behind by mistake.
Old 04-20-2012
Custom User Title

Sorry for not responding, I was expecting emails if I got a reply, but I never got one. I took the car to a stereo guy last week and he said that basically, once the stock stereo is removed, you no longer have a working keyless entry unless you go aftermarket. He didn't mention anything about the Prestige remote though. I have to go back soon anyway, so I'll ask him about it. I haven't noticed any horn-type things in my engine compartment. I did fid a black box on the left that appeared to belong to the alarm system. The wires were all snipped though, so I took it out.