6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Lower hose keeps leaking - driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John123Drury is an unknown quantity at this point
Lower hose keeps leaking - driving me crazy

Hey everyone - 97 EX. My lower radiator hose keeps leaking where is meets the radiator after the car sits for a while (i.e. a day or two). I have replaced the radiator AND hoses TWICE trying to fix this issue. Even tried installing two screw-type clamps side-by-side at the bottom...tightening both when the car is warm and cold (to the point I break them from tightening too much). The hose is in fine shape (no pinholes), and I know for a fact it's coming from the bottom of the hose (at the radiator) vs other spots like the drain plug or other hose connections.

It's a very small leak...a drip here and there...so it's more of a nuisance than a problem. But I'm hoping someone can help me here. It's the only leak this car has and it's driving me insane.
Old 06-20-2011
Registered!!

DaveMK1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lower hose keeps leaking - driving me crazy

John,
Could the aftermarket hose be the problem? Maybe it's just a hair too big and it fold on itself as it tightens? I'm just brainstorming here, but the next hose i get would be from Honda
Old 06-20-2011
Registered!!

civic0427 is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason why it leaks when its cold is because everything is contracted. Are you sure it cant be leaking from somewhere else and running to the lower hose? Also don't tighten the clamp too tight because that also can be the problem.
Old 06-20-2011
Registered!!

John123Drury is an unknown quantity at this point

Good suggestion about the hose. I've gone through two hoses already, so perhaps I should try a 3rd but from HONDA this time. Civic - just curious - how would tightening them too much cause a leak?
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John123Drury
Civic - just curious - how would tightening them too much cause a leak?
The hose kinda folds (or pinches) and creates a small gap.

Check for exhaust gas in the coolant just to be safe. Also check again to see if it isn't running from somewhere else, just to be sure. It doesn't hurt to have someone else look too as a fresh pair of eyes may see something yours don't.
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

Trying a different brand of hose couldn't hurt.

Also with the screw-type clamps, get them firm but don't let it start squeezing and cutting through the rubber. Stop as soon as the rubber begins to bulge through the slots. It sounds like you already broke through on a few, you might be cracking the rest for a tiny leak. Those hoses are pretty grippy and the worm-screws on the hose clamps can apply more force than you think. I have seen a lot of old Hondas with just those scissor-type hose clamps where you just squeeze them to get them on and off - those things apply a relatively weak force.
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

DaveMK1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by combinatorix
I have seen a lot of old Hondas with just those scissor-type hose clamps where you just squeeze them to get them on and off - those things apply a relatively weak force.
I've seen alot of those clamps fail also. The problem is after they've been squeezed and released a bunch of times they start to weaken.