Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 6th Gen
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Experience Used CarsGarageVendors TSB & Recalls
Welcome to Honda Civic Forum

6th Gen In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic. Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2010   #1 (permalink)
Registered!!

ibsmitty is an unknown quantity at this point
'99 civic emissions problems

I have a '99 civic auto with about 130000 mi and the check engine light came on. I took it to auto zone and the scanner said O2 sensor bank 1. I replaced the primary (upstream) sensor, but the light came on immediately after it was reset. I changed the secondary sensor (downstream), and the light came back on as soon as it was reset. It is still giving me the same code. Is it possible I got a bad sensor or should I be looking somewhere else for a problem? At times, the check engine light has been blinking which is usually a sign of the computer totally losing communication with some monitored part. Does anyone know the proper voltages and resistances I should be seeing across the O2 sensor and heater terminals? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
ibsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #2 (permalink)
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough
Re: '99 civic emissions problems

A blinking CEL indicates that the engine is misfiring severe enough to damage the catalytic converter (cat). You need to fix the problem before driving more to avoid the need to replace the expensive cat.

Start by taking the car to an auto parts store to have all the codes pulled again. Then post the codes in this thread.
Old 01-22-2010   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah blinking cel you shouldnt drive the car. are you sure you got the correct sensors? oem plug in type and did not mix the primary and secondary? if you replaced with proper sensors, the light should go off. make sure you have a good connection at the plug too.
Old 01-22-2010   #4 (permalink)
Registered!!

toy4two is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the cel blinking like that ran the codes and it came up misfire cylinder 1 and cylinder 2.

Pulled the distributor housing off and saw a few drops of water. Cleaned those off, then sanded down the contact points and reinstalled. Also my air filter was a little wet so I dried it off with a hair dryer.

This is all because of the massive rain we got here in San Diego over the last week, I drove through some 1 ft deep flooded roads and thought flooring it would be fun in the water, all that did was splash tons of water up into my engine bay.

Try checking your ignition components next. Distibutor cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and spark plugs.
toy4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
07 , 1998 , 99 , ciic , civic , codes , emission , emissions , forum , honda , light , problem , problems , reset , si