6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

D16y7 Head Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasong40 is an unknown quantity at this point
D16y7 Head Change

Just a bit of History

I have a 98 Honda Civic DX / D16Y7 engine with 190,000 miles on it and it seems as if the head gasket may have gone bad because I have a bit of coolant in one of my cyclinder's and white smoke is coming out the exhaust. Now a mechanic gave me 3 options

1. Change the Head
2. Change the Engine
3. Buy a new car

Now I'm not getting rid of my honda but I was thinking about putting a Y8 head on there if I did that what all would I need to change besides the intake manifold.

Also if I went with the engine swap would anything need to be changed or modified with D16Y8 engine going into that car.

Thanks for your time
Old 02-02-2009
Registered!!

ScottDR will become famous soon enough
Re: D16y7 Head Change

Ok, if your engine wasn't burning oil, I'd just replace the head (or head gasket-depends on the damage once the head is removed). If it was burning oil, go with a used engine.

I've never been a fan of the mini-me VTEC head swap, but that's just me.

If you put in a d16y8 engine you'd just have to add a VTEC and knock sensor wire (both shielded) and d16y8 ECU. Might want to swap the transmission too (unless you have an automagic) to take advantage of the better 1-2 gearing and the different final drive.
Old 06-11-2009
Registered!!

skier22 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am also going to swap my y7 head with a y8. but i would also like to put the pistons and rods from an a1 to boost the compression. i herd it changed it from 9.4:1 to 12.6:1, but someone else said it changed it to 11:1. id also like to get a cam kit, a stage 2 clutch and possibly bore it out a bit, can anyone give me some numbers as to how much this will cost me without labor? and how much power i would be making after everything including 4-2-1 headers, no cat, throttle body spacer, and cold air? any info would be great. i've looked all over the place and haven't found any solid answers
Old 06-12-2009
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jasong40
1. Change the Head
2. Change the Engine
3. Buy a new car

Now I'm not getting rid of my honda but I was thinking about putting a Y8 head on there if I did that what all would I need to change besides the intake manifold.

Also if I went with the engine swap would anything need to be changed or modified with D16Y8 engine going into that car.
4. Change the head gasket

When swapping in a Y8 head, you need:
1.) Y8 head
2.) Y8 ECU
3.) A knock sensor
4.) ECU pins to wire up the VTEC solenoid and knock sensor
5.) Y8 injectors highly recommended
6.) You can use your IM but you need to rewire the IACV

There are many detailed thread out there that describe this in detail. If you can't find them then making this mod over your head and sell the car.

Originally Posted by ScottDR
I've never been a fan of the mini-me VTEC head swap, but that's just me.
non-VTEC - 106HP
VTEC - 126HP

I'd say it's worth it. But that's my opinion, trust me I know the debate so let's not start.

Originally Posted by skier22
i am also going to swap my y7 head with a y8. but i would also like to put the pistons and rods from an a1 to boost the compression. i herd it changed it from 9.4:1 to 12.6:1, but someone else said it changed it to 11:1. id also like to get a cam kit, a stage 2 clutch and possibly bore it out a bit, can anyone give me some numbers as to how much this will cost me without labor? and how much power i would be making after everything including 4-2-1 headers, no cat, throttle body spacer, and cold air? any info would be great. i've looked all over the place and haven't found any solid answers
Dude, go do your own research. Go look on eBay for some used A1 pistons and rods or get on a OEM parts site like slhonda.com or Majestic Honda and price them out new. Then google the exact cam and clutch you're looking for to proce that out. Then ask the machine shops around in your area for boring out the block. Add all that up.

You will not find a solid answer on how much power you'll make untill you put your setup on a dyno. No one on the internet can predict that. But most N/A setups don't make much over 160whp without spending a ton of $$$. Look around at other builds and see what they made.
Old 06-12-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point

i got mine on ebay you can do a search on their motor parts section..
Old 06-17-2009
Registered!!

skier22 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the help