7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What can cause clunking/popping in the front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leech64 is an unknown quantity at this point
What can cause clunking/popping in the front suspension

Heys guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

There was a clunking sound in the front driver side of my car a while back, and a creaking sound in my rear passenger side. Because of this I replaced the lower control arms and ball joints. The clunking in the front driver side remained. Then I bought 4 strut assemblies (2 front 2 rear) I installed the rear struts. The creaking remained in the rear passenger side.

Afterwards, a few weeks ago, some crazy driver tried to get into my lane, and I had to swerve out of the way pretty violently. After the incident, a popping sound appeared in the front passenger side.

A week ago I replaced the front strut assemblies on both sides. Now the front driver clunking sound is gone(I guess it was the strut mounts, but I dont even know where they could make noise). However, the front passenger side still has that popping sound when I go over bumps. It might be my imagination, but I think I even hear some scratching/ grinding/ creaking or something. Also after the alignment, my car kind of pulls to the right when breaking. I took it in for a second alignment, and it sort of helped.

What could be the source of the noise? I doubt its the LCA or the ball joints since they were just replaced. The Ball joints are moog brand. Im also ruling the struts out of the picture as well since the popping was there before and after the struts were installed.

I suspect that the ball may have been busted some how during the swerve. Could it be other things like the tie rod ends, sway bar links, or the sway bar. Im trying to think of all the suspension components.

Any info or experience could be helpful.
Old 12-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leech64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What can cause clunking/popping in the front suspension

also, the car pulls too when i brake
Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leech64
sway bar links, or the sway bar. Im trying to think of all the suspension components.

Any info or experience could be helpful.
check the links,

its easy, just grab the bar, use some muscle and pull up and down, if a link is shot you will definitely know
Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

An additional ?? when an end link is shot will it just move easily with your hand when you wiggle it? Im assuming it should be pretty hard to move the socket around..
Old 12-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GusBuz
An additional ?? when an end link is shot will it just move easily with your hand when you wiggle it? Im assuming it should be pretty hard to move the socket around..
it will not move "easily", thats why i said you need to use some muscle, if you grab near the end of the bar and rapidy push up and down you will be able to hear the link rattling (if its bad)
Old 12-22-2016
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

If you have never replaced your lower control arms, the front bushing is shot. You can buy a new front lower control arm for like $40 on Amazon.
Old 12-24-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Oh, hey, sl33py, long time no see you in here, buddy!