7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youngm is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedometer not working

Hi, I just recently bought a 02 civic lx with a bad instrument cluster and replaced it with a working one but now the speedometer isn't moving but moves during the diagnostics cluster test, and I don't think it's the vss because I had it changed just recently to see if that was what is causing it but it wasn't, I might mention that the cruise control does not work either, if there is anyway to try to fix it or anything you guys might suggest tell me please
Old 06-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speedometer not working

Possible mismatched cluster??
What car exactly was it from?
Did it work 100% in that car before you got it?
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Last edited by youngm; 06-04-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote reply
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Possible mismatched cluster??
What car exactly was it from?
Did it work 100% in that car before you got it?
I got it out of a 2002 civic lx coupe, suppose it shouldn't be any different other than the doors
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by youngm
I got it out of a 2002 civic lx coupe, suppose it shouldn't be any different other than the doors
Looked at the part number for the cluster for both the 2 door and 4 door (assumed auto tranny with no side SRS?)

Oddly enough, it would seem by the price and the part number they are, in fact, two different clusters.... seems odd and this isn't definitive but some thing to consider.... First link is the 2 door ("meter,combination") second is the 4 door ("Meter Assy.")

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...8NS%29+%281%29

Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
Looked at the part number for the cluster for both the 2 door and 4 door (assumed auto tranny with no side SRS?)

Oddly enough, it would seem by the price and the part number they are, in fact, two different clusters.... seems odd and this isn't definitive but some thing to consider.... First link is the 2 door ("meter,combination") second is the 4 door ("Meter Assy.")

But would that really cause the speedometer not to run?
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Hard to say exactly, unless you have a pinout (connector) for each specific cluster... which I don't have...

What was wrong with the old cluster? Don't tell me it was the speedometer?...
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
Hard to say exactly, unless you have a pinout (connector) for each specific cluster... which I don't have...

What was wrong with the old cluster? Don't tell me it was the speedometer?...
Actually the original owner busted through the circuit board with a screwdriver to click the trip button and the whole entire cluster was worthless afterwards
Old 06-04-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Cluster swaps are popular, and if it was from the same year car I think the gauges SHOULD work, but I know there can be issues with warning lights and whatnot if the equipment in the cars doesn't match.

PCM, cruise, and gauges all share the signal that comes from the VSS. Therefore....

I'd first want to see if the PCM is receiving the VSS input via a good scanner live operating data list.

You say the cruise doesn't work, that COULD be a related symptom. Did it quit at the same time the speedometer quit?

With a good set of wiring diagrams and a good ohm meter you could test the integrity of that circuit from the VSS unit to all the other units that use that signal.
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Cluster swaps are popular, and if it was from the same year car I think the gauges SHOULD work, but I know there can be issues with warning lights and whatnot if the equipment in the cars doesn't match.

PCM, cruise, and gauges all share the signal that comes from the VSS. Therefore....

I'd first want to see if the PCM is receiving the VSS input via a good scanner live operating data list.

You say the cruise doesn't work, that COULD be a related symptom. Did it quit at the same time the speedometer quit?

With a good set of wiring diagrams and a good ohm meter you could test the integrity of that circuit from the VSS unit to all the other units that use that signal.
I had already replaced the vss so that wasn't it, cruise control didn't light up or turn on when I first bought it, and idk what the reason would be and also no check engine light was on but a maintenance required light was on so I'm gonna bring it to the shop next week to see if anything is wrong, I might also mention all gauges work except speedometer, if I can't find a fix to this I'll probably just use an app or gps for speed
Old 06-04-2015

Originally Posted by youngm
cruise control didn't light up or turn on when I first bought it,
Main switch by your left knee? The bulbs burn out but the switch can still work. It's gotta be on before the rest of the cruise stuff works. (Many customers have no clue the main switch exists!)

maintenance required light was on
That's controlled inside the cluster, it's a simple reset IF that trip meter reset button is working.

so I'm gonna bring it to the shop next week to see if anything is wrong,
LOL You already know something is wrong!
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Main switch by your left knee? The bulbs burn out but the switch can still work. It's gotta be on before the rest of the cruise stuff works. (Many customers have no clue the main switch exists!)

That's controlled inside the cluster, it's a simple reset IF that trip meter reset button is working.

LOL You already know something is wrong!
Lol you know what I mean, to see what the problem is 😆