7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Civic oil type/cabin air filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShannonB is an unknown quantity at this point
03 Civic oil type/cabin air filters

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Lx and it has about 220,000km on it. I have owned it for 5 years and have always used 5W20 oil in both summer and winter. I recently took my car to Mr Lube to have the oil changed and was told 5W20 oil isn't good in the winter and I need actual winter oil. Can someone please tell me if 5W20 is fine for my car in winter? I live in Winnipeg, MB so it gets pretty cold here but I've never had a problem using it before.

Also, when the guy checked my cabin air filters he said the plastic trays were missing. He said that without the trays the filters can get sucked into my engine and ruin my car. I have never ever had trays holding the air filters in place. I know this because I regularly take the filters out myself to spray them with Febreze to make them smell nice. I also buy new filters every year or so. Does anyone know if these trays are necessary or was he just trying to up sell me? It doesn't make sense that the filters could get sucked into the engine since the air is flowing in the opposite direction, but I don't really know anything about cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 03 Civic oil type/cabin air filters

there's no such thing as "winter oil" 5w20 is what honda says to use why would you listen to some mr lube ******* and not the company that designed and manufactured the engine ??? honda also says you can use 0w20 which would help with cold starts but there's no real reason to switch if your using 5w20 they just want to rip you off thats what they do. as for the plastic trays yes you should have two separate trays that hold the filters as for them destroying your engine thats completely impossible if they did come loose it could potentially damage your fan blower for the heat/AC.
#10-#14 are the parts you need.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=HEATER+BLOWER

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-12-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Lx and it has about 220,000km on it. I have owned it for 5 years and have always used 5W20 oil in both summer and winter. I recently took my car to Mr Lube to have the oil changed and was told 5W20 oil isn't good in the winter and I need actual winter oil.
The oil cap says 5w20, but 0w20 is also acceptable according to Honda.
Irrelevant of weather conditions.

What exactly are they trying to up$ell you?

cabin air filters he said the plastic trays were missing. He said that without the trays the filters can get sucked into my engine and ruin my car.
Cabin filters are nowhere near the engine and cannot ever be "sucked into" it. They are only for the HVAC, and they are behind the glovebox (you already know this).
Each cabin filter (there are a pair of them) is supposed to have a plastic holder.
If yours have no holders, doesn't that make them a booger to get in and out?

Old 11-12-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
#10-#14 are the parts you need.
Our pics are numbered different. Now I gotta look and see what the differences are.
Old 11-12-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
Our pics are numbered different. Now I gotta look and see what the differences are.
....The pair of frames on the left of the pic are for cars with AC. The pair on the right are for DX without AC.