7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Input Shaft Bearing DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boyd117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Input Shaft Bearing DIY?

Hey I was searching the forum for a DIY IPS bearing replacement and couldnt seem to find one for the 7th Gen. My buddys 04 bearing is going and I want to help him tackle replacing it...saw a tutorial for the older D series but was looking for our year. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Input Shaft Bearing DIY?

I seen that DIY as well its probably not much different. However if you know how to drop the tranny it shouldnt be too much more work.

Download the 7thgen manual on here and it should help you. I dont think anyone has a DIY with pictures and all. Maybe you can contribute one for us if you end up doing the work?
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

boyd117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Searching for the service manual...can't seem to find it
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I downloaded it years ago, check the last page of this thread for the links. Hopefully one of them works, good luck.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-11.html
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive replaced the input shaft bearing in my '05 vp civic at 45k miles. Its easy to do, but I wouldnt recommend it. It only got me another 18k miles. apparently if the input bearing is that worn(the plastic cage that spaces the ball bearings shattered, and they bind up)All the bearings should really be replaced. I bought a bearing and seal kit online, and paid a tranny shop $250 to install it. I suggest to do it right the first time.

I cant find my pics of the disassembly. If I find them ill post them... Basically:
Drain fluid, then remove shift mechanism, sensors, the two bolts that have the spring and ball(they sit in the detents on the shift forks.)

Then, remove the larger size plug in the side opposite the bell housing.(you can see the end of the shaft) You will need to hold the snapring in there open to open the case...

Then remove the bolts that hold the casing together
You need those snap ring pliers to fit the snapring and I used vise grips to hold them in place, and it took some gentle convincing to seperate the case.

Then just take the plastic tray out, clean the magnet(i had pieces of the ips vearing everywhere to clean)

I used a flathead screwdriver to remove the bearing. Theres a notch next to it.
Then the seal. And I used a large socket and a rubber mallet to install the new seal and bearing.

Goes back together in reverse order with gasket maker between the case.

Its easy to do, but it most likely wont be a long fix. I reccomend having a shop do the whole thing unless you can rebuild the whole thing. And be sure to check the shaft where it sits in the pilot bearing as mine was chewed to heck.

Last edited by Hardcoresteve; 02-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.