7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

D17 rebuild for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011
civic 04 dx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AndRaw7 is an unknown quantity at this point
D17 rebuild for turbo

i stay down in miami florida, have a 04 civic coupe dx with a stock d17 with almost 150.000 miles that i want to eventually put a turbo on, now i been reading and stuff about the whole process that something like that takes and the right way to rebuild my d17 without cutting any corners to make it ready as one of u guys posted it in the faq for the turbo and rebuild and thats what im looking for, so my question is: THERES ANYBODY HERE THAT OWNES A SHOP OR WORK IN ONE THAT HAS DONE SUCESSFULLY THE WHOLE REBUILDING OF THE ENGINE?? if so please reply and let me know around how much u would charge in ur shop to get the job done, with or without the parts... i really appreciate the time to read this post, and remember I LIVE IN MIAMI so it must be in the area... FROM MIAMI TO WEST PALM BEACH.. THANKS FOR THE HELP
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

TDC2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: D17 rebuild for turbo

Starters you should probably figure out how much boost you plan on running, because that'll determine a lot on what parts are used to beef up internals, factory motor should be able to handle 5psi roughly, with a mild fuel system upgrade (bigger fuel pump).
Old 06-23-2011
civic 04 dx

10 to 15psi thats why im looking to rebuild the engine and the reason i posted cuz i wouldnt even consider put any turbo on a stock d17, i like my car and imagine go trhu the hole turbo process to only run 5 psi and mess my engine up..
Old 06-24-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Crank is good for up to 600hp. replacing the rods on a d17 is a must. I have no clue about pistons but the I know the d17a1 has a 9.5 c/r so it should be good (theyre also a high pressure cast, not forged). make sure you never see metal shavings when you change the oil, and that the fuel, oil, and cooling systems are all in good condition. you also need an aftermarket headgasket and a piggyback or standalone to compensate for the extra air. if youre running high boost (over 12 i would get a KMS block guard and over 17 i would resleeve the block)
Old 06-24-2011
civic 04 dx

do you gu7ys know about anybody that ownes or work in a shop thst has experience doin this kind of rebuids on d17 down in miami?
Old 06-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I dont know anyone in miami that specializes in hondas. Basically start by finding who has a DYNO in your area, if they dont- they cant tune your car properly and you dont want them working on it.

Resleeving the block is pretty much pointless from everything I've heard of boosting and rebuilds. Double check that.

Andyman, boilermaker and supermex are the top three guys that come to mind in big turbo builds. Check out their posts.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

TDC2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point

you shouldn't need to resleeve unless youre already having issues or you plan on boosting it to all hell, but too much boost and you'll not like driving your car as a daily driver 5-7lbs is nice if you do alot of daily driving, and if you live in an area where there is heavy congestion ::cough cough i84, stupid vantuckians::
Old 06-27-2011
civic 04 dx

thanks triz and tdc... pretty helpfull information.. i guess ill still looking for someone with honda experience around the area to do the rebuild for me..
Old 06-27-2011
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I dont know anyone in miami that specializes in hondas. Basically start by finding who has a DYNO in your area, if they dont- they cant tune your car properly and you dont want them working on it.

Resleeving the block is pretty much pointless from everything I've heard of boosting and rebuilds. Double check that.

Andyman, boilermaker and supermex are the top three guys that come to mind in big turbo builds. Check out their posts.
By resleeving i meant getting aftermarket sleeves thatll allow you to run a higher displacement and more boost (wider and thicker walls) probably only needed if youre a pro drag racing and planning on makin big $bank$