7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I know I know, another tranny thread. READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fripperiffic is an unknown quantity at this point
I know I know, another tranny thread. READ THIS!

This may have already been covered in these forums, but here goes. I emailed a local trans. shop and they had this to say:

David,
1998-2005 Hondas, accros the board have massive transmission failure rate. Either the converter or 2nd gear clutches fail which lead to a complete failure most of the time because the filter cannot be changed without disassembling the trans and it gets plugged with clutch debris and then the trans fails. That leads to buying a used one-We NEVER reccomed buying used transmissions that have a high failure rate because you can expect the same. Typically a used unit it above $1200 dollars, and then when you add labor, new seals, fluid you ve hit $2000 or very close. We can completety remanufacture one for a very similar cost with a superior torque converter and all new updated solenoids. We remanufacture a honda every week, sometimes 2. The best thing to do is change the fluid every year for about $140.00 and just cross your fingers. Hondas have been great cars and it is unfortunate that they have this problem. Once they have been rebuilt , Ive never seen a repeat failure at least at our shop. Thanks for contacting us.

Does this sound like a reasonable estimation as far as remanufacturing a superior trans? Any input is helpful, as I am now waiting on the imminent destruction of my 02 Civc trans.
Old 12-04-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I know I know, another tranny thread. READ THIS!

sounds like they know what theyre talking about at least. not sure about the rebuilds lasting tho, unless they are also replacing the clutches with a non honda upgrade. im seriously considering not even wasting my time with this auto and just do a k20 swap with manual trans. the cost for a new auto trans is in some places higher than the engine swap. ive got quates anywhere from $3-5k for a new or rebuilt trans. no way am i paying that just to have the same problem. thats how much the car is worth by itself lol.
Old 12-04-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: I know I know, another tranny thread. READ THIS!

The end product with a rebuilt trans can vary based on who you have do the work, its the poor quality rebuilds that fail extremely quickly. If I went that route I would only use a performance rebuild kit, since they have better quality clutches and have them install and external fluid filter. The only issue is trying to find the performance rebuild kits is almost impossible.

I would really only consider an auto-manual swap or a kswap with manual in my car, these transmissions are cursed.