7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wierd Fender-Bumper bolt: 2001 Honda Civic Lx

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Wierd Fender-Bumper bolt: 2001 Honda Civic Lx

Alright so theres a problem with my fender and I want to take it off. However when I looked at the last bolt, I had no clue what it was. It's a 10 mm I believe but I have no clue how to get it out. When I try to unscrew it, the extended metal piece off facing towards the camera twists along with it and eventually hits my bumper (I dont want to twist it anymore and risk cracking my bumper). And I also tried using a flat head screw driver to hold the "metal extension thing" in place while I tried to twist the bolt, and needless to say, it didnt budge at all. If you guys could help me with this Id greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	79477   Click image for larger version

Name:	0132.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	79479  
Old 11-05-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wierd Fender-Bumper bolt: 2001 Honda Civic Lx

that "metal extension" is pretty much a clip nut.

clip nut -->

it's pretty rusted though, so the oxidation may have effectively "welded" it together. I'd say hit it with some PB blaster, let it sit, and try again. Either that, or grab some vice grips, hold the clip nut in place, and take a socket wrench to the bolt.
Old 11-05-2010
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Alright thanks a ton. +reputation
Old 11-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

it kind of looks like somebody put JB weld on the threads you mite have to cut it off.
Old 11-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
it kind of looks like somebody put JB weld on the threads you mite have to cut it off.
That could be true. I didn't look that close at it. If that is the case, you can buy replacements at autozone.
Old 11-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

thats not jb weld, it looks more like corrosion, like riceboy said its going to be locked on pretty snug. you can also try if you have a pick tool, to pull down to put pressure on the threads of the bolt. sometimes that helps. It would be hard to try to hold it with pliers to keep it from turning with the nut. Or just use a dremel to cut it (like low said)
Old 11-06-2010
Registered!!

Also looking at that pic i see two wire connects with twist caps, you should get some shrink tube and butt connectors on that, as those caps don't prevent against weather or any other type of sediment
Old 11-06-2010
Administrator
Administrator

lol, yea.. I wouldn't personally use twist caps anywhere but inside the car/trunk.
Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

i wouldn't use them for anything but the intended purpose of home electrical, even then i'm not satisfied that they're a permanent fix
Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

could be worse though, could of used speed clips, these make me shudder
Old 11-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I've only used them for something that I needed to make a quick disconnect, but didn't have any spade connectors handy. I'm using some of those for my angel eyes, but I have them hella protected from the elements.