7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horsepower increase

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clevelandhugo is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Horsepower increase

I have an 01 Civic Ex with an injen SRI but I want some more power. What are some ideas on what else to put onto my car in order to get around 150-160 hp. I also want to keep it simple by not decreasing the mpg.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Horsepower increase

good luck with that....our engines don't really respond well to bolt ons. You're going to have to do something substantial to get 30 more hp outta your car.

Last edited by Lord ET; 05-30-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: trying to not sound like an ass
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Crap so what do u think is the highest hp i will be able to get without substantial parts?
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

drjvic04 is on a distinguished road

120 at the crank.
On a windy day
Down hill
With a faster car behind you pushing your car!
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

clowry is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a couple of mods you can do. You can put on a cold air intake, AEM is the best. You can also put in a catback exhaust, this will be a little more pricey, but it will help. You can also replace spark plugs, and do other small mods, (this site is loaded with them). With these you will have more HP, and your mpg will actually go up. However, your mpg will ONLY go up so long as you are a VERY careful driver, you know accellerate slowly, don't drift corners, brake slowly, and so on. So long as you are "gentle" your mpg will not suffer, but when you want to have a little fun, you will have the extra hp to back you up. I have a ton of mods on my car, and I still get over 30 mpg, even racing the entire tank.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

amatias is an unknown quantity at this point

for a quick short rush go NOS.
Old 05-31-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, nitrous setup would be most bang for the buck
Old 05-31-2007
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

If you are seriously looking into increasing horsepower, then you need to realize first that our engines are meant to be fuel efficient. Therefore even little mods like cai's, cat backs or any other bolt on you can think of wont do much in terms of hp gains. I think you need to re-examine your thoughts on hp because you are new to this forum and most likely new to car modding. NOS is a nitrous manufacturer of nitrous parts...and nitrous may very well be most bang for your buck, but you need to research how and why. Just know that more hp equals lots of money. Read up in all these forums from suspension to forced induction and trust me, youll learn more than you think. However, dont rush into something without knowing what youre doing. Yea nitrous might bring you gains, but you'll most likely blow your engine if you dont know what you are doing, and then youll be out of a car because you didnt have a clue what the nitrous was doing to the internals of your engine. Good luck and welcome.

Last edited by jbrown59; 05-31-2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

Originally Posted by drjvic04
120 at the crank.
On a windy day
Down hill
hahahahhahah
Old 05-31-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drjvic04
120 at the crank.
On a windy day
Down hill

Too funny!!

But he's right. and so is jbrown. You've got to drop some serious cash to get any more than a few extra ponies out of our 7th gens. You may want to focus on the way the car handles and how fun it is to drive if you're not looking at committing a couple grand to a serious build.

Probably one the most enjoyable upgrades I've done is the Revo Short shifter and aluminum shifter bushings. That and the suspension upgrades and strut bars. The combination of all these really make a difference in handling and sheer driving enjoyment. Cat-back exhaust, a header, and new intake are all nice sounding, but I may have increased total horse power by about 3-4hp. The car sounds better IMO, better throttle response, and I have that neat hissing sound, but no extra gobs of power unleashed there.

You've got to pay to play to make extra power out of any engine, and that's especially true with our 7th gens.
Old 05-31-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

AEM is not the best...to u it is..dont tell him that unless ur positive and have something to back that up
Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

clowry is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have the time or money to prove AEM is better, I have had K&N, and a few other brands, but I have always found AEM to be the best. What one do you think is the best?
Old 06-01-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

if u dont have the time and money then why would u say that? Ive read and herd several times that fujita dominates.. and ive herd a bunch of...well not BAD reviews..but ...ok look at our RATE YOUR INTAKE thread... then let me know. aem has some good comments..its very nice looking, nice sound..but power is minimal...and im not saying that intakes are suppose to give u a whopping power but some do perform better than other and aem is not one of them...its...ok.. injen is better than aem from what ive herd.
Old 06-01-2007
osk
Registered!!

osk is an unknown quantity at this point

just out of curiousity is there much difference between a drop in K&N vs AEM SRI??? I heard there are very minimal gains with smog legal headers.
I will definately replace my exhaust with a RSR exMag.
Old 06-02-2007
Registered!!

^^not much difference except for sound. There are very minimal gains with anything short of nitrous, turbo, or swap.
Old 06-02-2007

And let me know where you keep your extra header. My car only has one.
Old 06-02-2007
Registered!!

well given the context of his sentence headers applies....but someone had to say it ....right?
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

BigD001 can only hope to improve

Power Pages: 2001 Honda Civic EX
We install an intake and an Exhaust on a Civic from import tuner with dyno

The Facts
The Car: 2001 Honda Civic EX
The Owner: Jay F.
Engine Tested: D17A2
Applications: 2001 HONDA CIVIC EX
Replacements:B-SERIES, H-SERIES ENGINES

The Parts
DC Sports TCS Cat back Exhaust $690
Hayame Intake $150
MSRP Package Price $840

Performance Chart
HP Level HP+ TQ Level TQ+
B Baseline Power 110.4 * 103.5 *
1 DC Sports Exhaust 114.6 4.2 106.4 2.9
2 Hayame Intake 116.4 1.8 107.2 0.8
F Final Power 116.4 6.0 107.2 3.7

So with that and header, high flow cat you van easy make some where aroung 120ish. Just put the parts listed or better and nitrous and you'll be up there or for a little more you can drop in a k20a3 or k24 and be safer then running nitrous if you dont know how to spary
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

krazzy8 is an unknown quantity at this point

To get better sound..will an SRI and new headers do the job without changing the exhaust?
Old 06-03-2007

Meh. A little bit. You'll notice a different tone from the SRI. Header on stock exhaust? I don't know, as I upgraded the exhaust first and got a header later on.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krazzy8
To get better sound..will an SRI and new headers do the job without changing the exhaust?

it all depends on which intake you get. Some are really loud and others...not so much.
Old 06-04-2007
Registered!!

G617 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah unfortunately... the D17a1 or a2 doesn't do much unless you do some kind of forced induction. You may want to start planning a budget to either swap your motor like BigD001 said or rebuild your motor to turbo and/or nitrous. I'm in the same boat as you... I almost got rid of my Civic to get a "contender" if you will. Now I'm about to completely overhaul my D17 and boost it. May want to check out the DIY LX to EX head swap. That may help you out some. Good luck!!
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

EJOman is on a distinguished road

^^ Yeah me too, Almost got a BMW 330ci manual with M3 kit! That car was so rad, but BMW maint. is expensive over 80k and it has about that but it was only 16,000! Upgrade your suspension, get a exhaust, and a short throw shifter...and then just don't race people and you will have a good time in your car. Or if you have good credit get yourself a DEzod turbo, port n polish, and Hondata. You would have an awesome machine then, but it may take you a couple of years to pay it off!
Old 06-08-2007
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted

THe D17a2 isnt a power house, but if you want just alittle more kick without Nitrious Oxide or Boosting. Do a Standard I/H/E Dont bother with Cold air Intakes Short rams give you more torque anyway. and grab a VAFC II and Tune Tune Tune. that all my set up consists of and i Pull on 00-04 Si's. I've gotten some Decent HP gains with just that. There will be people that dont agree with me. And some that even say NON of that helps. Ignore them and their Ignorance. Best bang for your buck. Boost. But then again. Your droppin 4K Min.
Old 06-09-2007
This is Myspace

^^^^^^^^^^^.........................?????????????? ????????? what?? how does a short ram give more torque then a cold air. neither of them give u any torque....if anything the cold air does...colder air...denser..= power.... why would hot air give u more torque? it all depends on the model of intake and how its made if ur talking about torque and hp...and thats only for cold air. they dont have short rams for our d17s that make more power than any short rams for our d17s. other cars im sure but ours?? uh..no. another thing is u dont tune with a vafc. 00-04 si's??? gimme a break u duno wat ur talking about
Old 06-09-2007
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

VAFC II regulates your engines fuel curve, air/fuel ratio and vtec, therefore, slightly tuning your engine but not much. Also, sri's are good for the low rpm range but look on aem's website, the v2 is proven to give the best mid range power, and then cold air for the high range. Also, our cars give 100 whp looking to make 120 whp with basic bolt ons like i/h/e is impossible unless you get an aem ems or some other type of engine management. This topic has been talked about over and over again...Search
Old 06-09-2007
Registered!!

If I do go turbo are there any downs to getting it such a loss in engine life?
Old 06-09-2007

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable
^^^^^^^^^^^.........................?????????????? ????????? what?? how does a short ram give more torque then a cold air. neither of them give u any torque....if anything the cold air does...colder air...denser..= power.... why would hot air give u more torque? it all depends on the model of intake and how its made if ur talking about torque and hp...and thats only for cold air. they dont have short rams for our d17s that make more power than any short rams for our d17s. other cars im sure but ours?? uh..no. another thing is u dont tune with a vafc. 00-04 si's??? gimme a break u duno wat ur talking about

Boy.... You obviously dont know to much about engines or your own vehical for that matter to comment on this subject. But like I Stated before. There will always be someone Somewhere that will try and Argue. There are plenty of people on this forum that have been around, Just as long as I have. To agree that YES these mod's DO IN FACT help HP gains. LIKE I SAID BEFORE. NO there Not Very Significant But yes They work. Come back to thread when you've done some homework. Then maybe you might have someone that will listen to your ignorance.
Old 06-09-2007

Originally Posted by clevelandhugo
Engine life with any System such as Nitrious or Boost will degrade the life of the internals on the engine. Our bottom ends weren't build to handle high end boost. BUT if Done correctly and your easy on the engine (meaning you dont race it around every day) then yes Boosted D17's are Dependible. There are a couple of guys on this forum that have been around awhile and boosted 6lbs for years without any problems. Then again. They Tune. and Re-Tune.
Old 06-09-2007
CIVIC USER

Originally Posted by clevelandhugo
Yes, when putting any extra strain like...forcing air pressure down your engine, yes, there will be a loss of engine life. However, building up internals, tuning properly and proper maintenance will lead to a longer lasting engine. If this will be your daily driver, I would highly recommend you think hard about your decision. Can you afford to do this job the right way, because it will be expensive, the dynamics of the whole car will change. Not only will you be adding strain on the engine...also you will be wearing more tire tread do to added torque, more money on premium gas, turbos only take premium, more money on oil changes, synthetic only my friend, turbo timer, possibly a larger oil pump, return fuel lines...the list goes on. Just think how much you actually want this, and when you are sitting on the freeway without any room to play, ask yourself, why did I do all this work on my car. Turbo is more than just bolting it on and taking off...Oh yea, tuning prices PER HOUR, and then smog checks, because turbo isnt stock so you will fail the visual...I bought a turbo and then sold it 3 months after, never installing it. Do I regret it, a lil bit but I had to weigh the positive with the negative. It just didnt make sense. I hope this helped.

Quick Reply: Horsepower increase