7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

loud noise civic 2001

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contevo is an unknown quantity at this point
loud noise civic 2001

I have done timing belt on this car few months, and try do best I can maintain this car but yesterday I had loud noise coming out of drive side of engine bay by cover of timing belt here the video https://*******/e/6c9x

Last edited by contevo; 03-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: loud noise civic 2001

Sounds bad.
Shut that thing off and investigate before it gets hurt!
Pull valve cover and pull upper timing cover off, see if tensioner or spring broke.

You did the timing belt, did you replace the tensioner pulley and spring?
Were they aftermarket parts?

I think they were. IIRC you were warned in this thread:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...own-noise.html

Dayco WPK/Water Pump

Post pics of the damage when you find out what the noise is.

HTH
Old 03-29-2015
Registered!!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_W3XqY64SdUmd1ZEpfX2t5clE/edit?usp=docslist_api
Here better video and I bought the kit from dayco and I had the shop do the job...
Old 03-29-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^link fail LOL

No matter, I heard the noise in the other video. Figure out what went wrong before there is major damage.
Old 03-30-2015
Registered!!

I regret it because this car has serve me well since I got it over 2 years and has 238k miles and I went cheap on it but not this time I'm going OEM this time. Funny with 238k still doesn't Burn oil... My local dealer want 235 dollars for 3 parts I need but I need done asap before thing get worse for me... Thank you ur reply
Old 03-30-2015

^link fail LOL
Ok with the corrected link, I still hate the google player. FF won't play it and IE takes a loong time to run it.

I see you pushing on the timing cover changing the noise, so I'm reasonably sure you will find the tensioner pulley or spring has gone to hell if you get the timing covers opened up.

STOP running the engine! If it lets go completely and jumps time, it can bend valves and get very expensive in a hurry.

Originally Posted by contevo
I regret it because ......... I went cheap on it but not this time I'm going OEM this time.
Make sure it's actually the problem before you go spending a lot of money.
I was just guessing. Now it's up to you to verify the issue.
My local dealer want 235 dollars for 3 parts I need
There are many Honda dealers selling parts at wholesale prices online. You can use their online parts catalogs to doublecheck MSRP.
You can get your parts online and if shipping charges aren't outrageous you could really come out ahead. Check with your mechanic though, some won't install customer supplied parts.

HTH
Old 04-02-2015
Registered!!

So update

One shop told me crankshaft pully harmonic balancer rubbing against the cover
Old 04-02-2015

Sure could be. At least that's not catastrophic.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

So finally found problem with my noise and the recent p1361, i made post about this. So i bought balancer and i got it install the noise still was going but not as bad. the guy said is really nothing wrong with timing belt so i was like ok. So i drove it like this for 3 weeks and last couple start ive been getting p1369, until today i decide to put in new sensor my self, thats when i discover my issue someone on here said " the spring or tensioner" well spring came off and the belt is bit loose not too lose but the spin making the belt vibrate and the rattle sound and also hitting on the sensor so i guess that's why i am getting p1361 so i have to redo my timing belt again. The belt does not look torn or ripped so that's good sign ...
Old 05-09-2015

So i drove it like this for 3 weeks
You are sooooooo lucky it did not bend the valves. Go buy a lottery ticket.
Old 05-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You are sooooooo lucky it did not bend the valves. Go buy a lottery ticket.
Yea i did actually megamillion lol

I had to park the car and borrow a friend car to get to work till I can gather the funds for new timing belt job :-/. The spring is no where in sight when shine a flash light, and also when you touch the belt the left side feel stiff and than other side is loose but not too lose u cant take it off the belt. I left the upper timing cover off and put every thing back, I start the car I see the right side of the belt wobble and I pull the acceleration thing wobble stronger and u see it hit the sensor connecter, can this be reason why cause random p1361/limp mode? but when you power off the car and back on goes away before i discovered my issue... So what is your input on this ezone?

Last edited by contevo; 05-11-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2015

I can't tell you if the loose belt alone is causing the code or if the sensor has been damaged and causing it, (or maybe it has jumped a tooth, did you check this yet?)

You could replace the timing belt and tensioner set (USE A HONDA TENSIONER PULLEY KIT) then leave the top timing cover off and run the engine long enough to run it as a test, see if the code resets....

If it no longer resets the code, then maybe leave the Honda sensor in place?
If it resets the code then change out the cam sensor and retry.
It's up to you.
Old 05-11-2015
Registered!!

I can't tell you if the loose belt alone is causing the code or if the sensor has been damaged and causing it, (or maybe it has jumped a tooth, did you check this yet?)

You could replace the timing belt and tensioner set (USE A HONDA TENSIONER PULLEY KIT) then leave the top timing cover off and run the engine long enough to run it as a test, see if the code resets....

If it no longer resets the code, then maybe leave the Honda sensor in place?
If it resets the code then change out the cam sensor and retry.
It's up to you.
Is there guide how to check for timing belt jumped ?

Thank u for all ur replies
Old 05-11-2015

Is there guide how to check for timing belt jumped ?

Thank u for all ur replies
Check if timing marks are correctly aligned or not.
Refer to your service manual, see timing belt replacement.
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

Is this normal video https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_W3XqY64SdUkVBXzUwWENmcG8/edit?usp=docslist_api

I can turn tentioner with my finger im doing the job my self following diy
Old 05-14-2015

Is this normal video https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_W...p=docslist_api

I can turn tentioner with my finger im doing the job my self following diy
It's a pulley on a bearing, it must be able to spin freely. It will pivot as well, when the spring is correctly attached.

You have not replaced it with a brand new HONDA part yet?
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

It's a pulley on a bearing, it must be able to spin freely. It will pivot as well, when the spring is correctly attached.

You have not replaced it with a brand new HONDA part yet?

yea I did... I follow the DIY on here and I did everything was instructed. until made mistake leaving the 19mm bolt on the crankshaft I was it using turn the crankshaft to TDC and I forgot to take the out the bolt when I started the engine I wanna see everything was smooth before I put back pulley and other crap I took off. Now I have no idea how in the hell am I going take off the bolt if I have nothing keep crankshaft from turning I spend 6hrs working on this so I screw up like this :-/
Old 05-14-2015

when I started the engine I wanna see everything was smooth before I put back pulley and
NEVER run an engine without all the pulleys attached to the crank. There is nothing to stop the timing belt gear from 'walking' away from its correct position and you can trash the timing belt and valves, and running it without the harmonic balancer (the big crank pulley) can fracture the crankshaft.

Now I have no idea how in the hell am I going take off the bolt if I have nothing keep crankshaft from turning
How did the bolt get tightened without you holding the crankshaft from turning?
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

NEVER run an engine without all the pulleys attached to the crank. There is nothing to stop the timing belt gear from 'walking' away from its correct position and you can trash the timing belt and valves, and running it without the harmonic balancer (the big crank pulley) can fracture the crankshaft.
****, I didn't about know that... sighh

How did the bolt get tightened without you holding the crankshaft from turning?
idk to be honest

The 19mm bolt i put it back after took off the pulley and i try tight little enough for me turn the crankshaft but didnt work out to well it ket getting loose, and than I try turn it from small pulley where timing belt goes but i kept loosing up the screw too, so I had little bit hard time getting the tdc. because I didn't get it on DIY where he was turning crankshaft put on TDC with ease, and when i had everything setup I turn on the car and I heard my extention bar come off and the socket came off that when i turn off engine quick, and I just want shoot my self plus I was tire I should call a quit and was already dark...
Old 05-14-2015

when i had everything setup I turn on the car and I heard my extention bar come off and the socket came off
You started the engine with those tools on the bolt? Were you trying to tighten the bolt or something?

Did it start and run?
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

You started the engine with those tools on the bolt? Were you trying to tighten the bolt or something?

Did it start and run?
yea the car start and run but i didn't leave it on long enough I only turn it on twice, second time is when I left the damn bar and socket and 19mm bolt on... and the piece of information about balancer If I would have known that I would have never start the car. :-/

is there any way getting off the 19mm bolt off since pulley is off I can't use the crankshaft pulley holder? this is frustrating because I was going double check everything tomorrow and I would had my car for the weekend.... now have this problem...
Old 05-14-2015

is there any way getting off the 19mm bolt off since pulley is off I can't use the crankshaft pulley holder?
Impact gun
Wrench and hammer (poor mans impact)

Gain access to the flywheel teeth: maybe you can get access below the engine where one would remove the bolts for the torque converter, or maybe you can remove the starter.....

...then wedge a prybar into the ring gear or flywheel teeth so it locks the crankshaft from turning, then you can loosen the bolt (This will be a 2 person operation)
Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

Impact gun
Wrench and hammer (poor mans impact)

Gain access to the flywheel teeth: maybe you can get access below the engine where one would remove the bolts for the torque converter, or maybe you can remove the starter.....

...then wedge a prybar into the ring gear or flywheel teeth so it locks the crankshaft from turning, then you can loosen the bolt (This will be a 2 person operation)
isn't flywheel manual cars? mine is a automatic

and wrench and hammer, how do go about this? put wrench on the bolt and use the hammer, hit on the end of the wrench?

Last edited by contevo; 05-14-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2015

isn't flywheel manual cars? mine is a automatic
Either version has (ring gear) teeth that the starter engages. You would need to access those teeth no matter which trans it has.

and wrench and hammer, how do go about this? put wrench on the bolt and use the hammer, hit on the end of the wrench?
Yes, hit in the direction you want the wrench to turn.
I'd try this first, if it works right away it would save a lot of time.
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Either version has (ring gear) teeth that the starter engages. You would need to access those teeth no matter which trans it has.
Yes, hit in the direction you want the wrench to turn.
I'd try this first, if it works right away it would save a lot of time.

ok. so if i go with the wrench method just attach wranch to the bolt and bang on it but don't turn it?
Old 05-15-2015

and bang on it but don't turn it?
Do you not understand the basic principle of how an impact gun works?
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Do you not understand the basic principle of how an impact gun works?
Now i do. I read about it never used one before. Im going try wrench n hammer method later today, is raining over here. hopefully this will work.
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

until made mistake leaving the 19mm bolt on the crankshaft I was it using turn the crankshaft to TDC and I forgot to take the out the bolt when I started the engine
if your using that bolt to turn the engine then you must be rotating the engine the wrong way (clockwise, as opposed to the correct direction counter-clockwise), this is not recommended
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
if your using that bolt to turn the engine then you must be rotating the engine the wrong way (clockwise, as opposed to the correct direction counter-clockwise), this is not recommended
No, I was going counter-clockwise but every time I try to turn it counter-clockwise with bolt 19mm on it wouldn't work because I would unscrew it. So I started using timing belt pulley to set TDC so I can redo the timing belt etc... the reason the 19mm bolt got tighten because I left the bolt on and started the car because I was dumb-*** I didn't know about what ezone explain...
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

No, I was going counter-clockwise but every time I try to turn it counter-clockwise with bolt 19mm on it wouldn't work because I would unscrew it. So I started using timing belt pulley to set TDC
huh?

how were you turning the crank using the timing belt pulley?

Quick Reply: loud noise civic 2001