7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What kind of glue to bond EX coupe's tweeter pods to new tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What kind of glue to bond EX coupe's tweeter pods to new tweeters?

I'm in the midst of installing a set of Rockford Fosgate components in the front doors/tweeter pods of my 2002 EX coupe and have come to the part where I need to glue (permanently) the stock tweeter pods (from which I removed the stock tweeter from) to my new tweeters. I tried superglue but it wasn't sticking. I have PVC glue at home but not sure if that's appropriate (it's pretty potent stuff).

I guess the glue depends on what type of plastic these parts are made out of, which I have no idea about. It seems like pretty "standard" plastic but not sure at all what it is and what glue to use, so any info would be great!

The installation otherwise is going well. I gutted the stock front door speakers and bolted on my new 6.5" RF speakers on them and have them ready to be installed (waiting on the wiring adapter to arrive from Crutchfield) and I will be installing some RF 6x9 speakers for the rear deck tomorrow. These will be powered by 20W RMS (the speakers are all pretty low RMS rated, 5-40 for the components and 5-65 for the 6x9 rears) from my new double-DIN JVC receiver). Can't wait to finish!
Old 05-27-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: What kind of glue to bond EX coupe's tweeter pods to new tweeters?

Loctite Super Glue should do the trick:

If that is similiar to what you tried then a 2 part apoxy might be best. Can be found at local hardware stores, will have a hardening agent and the glue seperate.

Double sided tape may work also. 3M makes one that is rated for outdoor use that is very sticky. I have used it for exterior badges.

Last edited by GolNat; 05-27-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Loctite Super Glue should do the trick:

If that is similiar to what you tried then a 2 part apoxy might be best. Can be found at local hardware stores, will have a hardening agent and the glue seperate.

Double sided tape may work also. 3M makes one that is rated for outdoor use that is very sticky. I have used it for exterior badges.
Thanks! I looked up Loctite and they have a plastic bonding system (one part for both surfaces being adhered to each other) that hopefully will work.
Old 05-27-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

h4ldol, I have a '00 Suzuki SV650 that I installed an aftermarket gauge cluster on... which required a pickup sensor on the rear disc rotor and swingarm. Used a plastic epoxy from Loctite that held that plastic sensor on a steel swingarm through 10 degF days, soaked in sloppy Seattle weather, then 95 degF summers, no problem. If I were looking for a super-tough flexible epoxy, that would be the one to get. I'll see if I can find a pic or link for it...
Old 05-28-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Think it was actually Permatex -- their 5 Min Plastic Weld.
Old 05-29-2014
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Personally just used hot glue, worked great
Old 05-30-2014
Registered!!

Thanks, everyone. I ended up using Loctite Plastic Bonding System which is specifically designed for hard to bond plastics, e.g. polypropylene and polyethylene. It seems to have worked well enough as the tweeter pod is sticking in the trim piece, although I haven't actually tested to see how much pressure it can take.