Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   What kind of glue to bond EX coupe's tweeter pods to new tweeters? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/359989-what-kind-glue-bond-ex-coupes-tweeter-pods-new-tweeters.html)

h4ldol 05-27-2014 12:54 AM

What kind of glue to bond EX coupe's tweeter pods to new tweeters?

I'm in the midst of installing a set of Rockford Fosgate components in the front doors/tweeter pods of my 2002 EX coupe and have come to the part where I need to glue (permanently) the stock tweeter pods (from which I removed the stock tweeter from) to my new tweeters. I tried superglue but it wasn't sticking. I have PVC glue at home but not sure if that's appropriate (it's pretty potent stuff).

I guess the glue depends on what type of plastic these parts are made out of, which I have no idea about. It seems like pretty "standard" plastic but not sure at all what it is and what glue to use, so any info would be great!

The installation otherwise is going well. I gutted the stock front door speakers and bolted on my new 6.5" RF speakers on them and have them ready to be installed (waiting on the wiring adapter to arrive from Crutchfield) and I will be installing some RF 6x9 speakers for the rear deck tomorrow. These will be powered by 20W RMS (the speakers are all pretty low RMS rated, 5-40 for the components and 5-65 for the 6x9 rears) from my new double-DIN JVC receiver). Can't wait to finish!

GolNat 05-27-2014 04:33 AM

Re: What kind of glue to bond EX coupe's tweeter pods to new tweeters?

Loctite Super Glue should do the trick:

http://www.enasco.com/prod/images/pr.../AC058354l.jpg

If that is similiar to what you tried then a 2 part apoxy might be best. Can be found at local hardware stores, will have a hardening agent and the glue seperate.

Double sided tape may work also. 3M makes one that is rated for outdoor use that is very sticky. I have used it for exterior badges.

h4ldol 05-27-2014 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4664728)
Loctite Super Glue should do the trick:

If that is similiar to what you tried then a 2 part apoxy might be best. Can be found at local hardware stores, will have a hardening agent and the glue seperate.

Double sided tape may work also. 3M makes one that is rated for outdoor use that is very sticky. I have used it for exterior badges.

Thanks! I looked up Loctite and they have a plastic bonding system (one part for both surfaces being adhered to each other) that hopefully will work.

kinakoes2 05-27-2014 08:15 PM

h4ldol, I have a '00 Suzuki SV650 that I installed an aftermarket gauge cluster on... which required a pickup sensor on the rear disc rotor and swingarm. Used a plastic epoxy from Loctite that held that plastic sensor on a steel swingarm through 10 degF days, soaked in sloppy Seattle weather, then 95 degF summers, no problem. If I were looking for a super-tough flexible epoxy, that would be the one to get. ;) I'll see if I can find a pic or link for it...

kinakoes2 05-28-2014 03:37 AM

Think it was actually Permatex -- their 5 Min Plastic Weld.

rjones7755 05-29-2014 03:34 AM

Personally just used hot glue, worked great

h4ldol 05-30-2014 10:45 PM

Thanks, everyone. I ended up using Loctite Plastic Bonding System which is specifically designed for hard to bond plastics, e.g. polypropylene and polyethylene. It seems to have worked well enough as the tweeter pod is sticking in the trim piece, although I haven't actually tested to see how much pressure it can take.